Ak-48 grow - Small DR40 tent, 140W pro-grow LED - Second grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by RJ42, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RJ42, I hear you! Sometimes you just have to make a decision and try something out. Otherwise, you'll never get anywhere. I like researching, but experimenting is even more exciting. :)

Where did you hear good things about the pro-grow? I'd like to go and read what others have to say.

Best.

2. There are a few grow journals floating around the internet with the same light. 1-2 on grasscity and 1-2 on rollitup along with a few more on other blogs/forums.
    Here is the one I've been keeping up on:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/827734-first-grow-leds-coco-hempy-pots.html

3. Did you do away with the leds?

4. LED light is still on, I just raised it a few inches and put a couple of CFL's in as well.

5. Hey RJ42,
    Sub'd. Nice setup. Looking forward to seeing how you fair with the progrow.

6. Thanks a lot man. Congrats on your grow.

7. 1st sprout is looking much better and has probably tripled in size within the last 48 hours or so. However, the 2nd hasn't done much.

I randomly decided to plant the 3 biggest bagseeds I had, all three have sprouted and look great so far in only 48 hours. No idea what I will do with them, ha.

Attached Files:

8. More pictures!
    Both of the AK-48's look like they have recovered after I stressed them out and nearly drown them. It took a while for the little sprout to start doing anything, but in the last 3 days she has been growing more regularly.

Attached Files:

9. Been following your grow, and a couple others. Very interested in yours because I want to get the DR60 and an LED. But don't know what LED to buy. Thinkin of the 240 Blackstar, 357 mag, expensive, or one from HTG. But now I like yours because of the veg and flower option. Just can't make up my mind.Like everyone else I want the most bang for the buck.
    Because of my situation I want a small tent and an LED. Much thanks to you and MANY others here that spend your hard earned cash on products so people like myself can make the right decision on what to buy! Good luck and be safe.

10. #50 RJ42, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
    @lizrd
    Hey thanks man. Check out the LED grow journal I posted a few days ago if you missed it. From what I've seen, if you don't want to go over $500, pro-grow is the way to go. A 240W blackstar lost to a 180W progrow in a test I followed. Not during veg, but it was blown away during flower. Although the blackstar is still quality for sure.

Here are a few more pictures for everyone. 1st AK-48 is starting to explode. 2nd AK-48 is actually beginning to show signs of recovery, which would be nice because I'd like to have two plants I know are female! The two of the three bagseeds I planted are doing extremely well. The first one that sprouted is a monster considering it was a dry seed less than a week ago.

Attached Files:

11. ALso, I think I might try LST'ing my oldest AK-48 girl. Anyone have any thoughts, opinion?

12. Hello RJ42,
    I'm too much of a beginner to offer an opinion on LST. Never done it. I plan to try though. Would like to get good at it someday.

I've seen some good grow journals on the Blackstar and the Magnum 357. They both seem to work very well. The Blackstar is lower end and the Mag357 is upper end as far as price goes. I like the Pro-Grows myself, just like you. They are in the middle price wise. They have a good warranty, good build quality, they work, and its a reputable company. I've spoken to Ben at HH several times by email. He responds every time and answers my questions. I recently questioned some specifics on the lights that I received on my last order. He answered my questions promptly and followed by saying that if I didn't like the lights, he would exchange them happily. I did like them. I just had some questions. But that was a nice thing to hear. I'm not kin folk with these guys or anything. Just wanted to say that like yourself, I like their lights. They were a good choice for me.

I'll keep following along. Your doing great. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Cheers.

13. I have one bagseed plant outside that I LST'd. Did the circle around the pot method. Please note that I don't have good soil, or nutes. I know I shouldn't, but I use quarter strength MG and molasses. I think she's an indica, short and bushy. I don't think she's growing at her full potential obviously, because of what I had to work with at the time. What I can tell you is,LST works for more bud sites. Even at my first attempt and poor growing conditions I have multiple bud sites. Nothing to write home about, but I'm gaining experience. Point is, if I had a setup like yours or similar, I think my plant would have really taken off. Hope my very limited experience helped your decision a little. Good luck.

14. Hey rj check out my 2nd link below.. its my thread for all types of training.

15. @ tastebud
    Thanks for the opinion. I've also had some wonderfully helpful customer service with pro-grow, they are legit. Hopefully my 140W can keep up with your 180W :smoke:

@Lizrd
    Thank you for the advice. It's good to know that even as a beginner, your bud sites seemed to open up. I was basically just scared I would destroy my plant by attempting LST, but it's good to see others attempting it as a first try and succeeding.

@Shug
    Great link, thanks a bunch! That's awesome your plant basically super-cropped itself haha.

16. #56 RJ42, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2011
    More pictures!
    The first bag seed is a monster! I had to replant the bag-seeds due to the leaves outgrowing the cup already. Both of them look a little droopy after transfer. I trashed the third bag-seed, just running out of room.

Edit: I also have a small LED light coming in the mail tomorrow. Hoping it will work well so I can order a couple more and have a 100% LED grow.

Attached Files:

17. Update:
    Fed all of them them trace amounts of big bloom/grow big/superthrive.

Last pic is just a bonus :smoke:

Attached Files:

18. Nicely rolled dude!

19. @bhp70
    Thanks man! That canopy of colas you've got going is beautiful!

20. #60 RJ42, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
    Thinking about topping my biggest one. Is it a bit too early, or should I do it now?
    Anyone?