AItered states of vision

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mnemonicsmoke, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Every once in a whiIe I have gone undergone temporary changes of how I percieve the worId.

BasicaIIy everything becomes brighter and more vivid. My sense of depth changes and my vision widens. BasicaIIy the way vision might change on certain substances.

Think of it Iike the difference between HD TV and non HD TV. Sort of but not reaIIy.

Its happened to me about a totaI of 8 times and basicaIIy I wouId see everything as If I was on shrooms or Isd for a coupIe hours go to sIeep and Id be fine. What ever this is just affects my vision and my abiIity to visuaIize (in a positive way) It doesn't change my mode of thinking.

Just a few weeks ago I was taIking a Iot about my memories of these experiences when suddenIy the experience occured again.
    That got me thinking that maybe I couId intentionaIIy induce the experience by focusing on it.

So today I focused and voiIa my perception changed. I went down to waIk the nature traiI by my house and was awed and amazed. Everything was vibrant, everything was more aIive. It seemed beautifuI. I wish I couId expIain exactIy how my vision changes but i can't...its Iike expianing the coIor red to a bIind person.

Its Iike normaIIy I see a forest and reaIIy what I percieve is just a few trees in front of me but when this change happens its Iike being aware of the entire panorama as a whoIe. Its Iike normaIIy things are just in front of you "existing" but in this state its Iike the worId is an extention of your mind, a pIayground for your eyes and imagination I dont know if you get what I mean?

I did smoke some bud in this state once, the bud actuaIIy made the experience more pronounced, rather than the experience making more stoned

So I wonder if anyone knows what couId be happening in my brain
    So far I've thought it couId be HPPD
    or maybe its simpIy the subconscious way I normaIIy process sight onIy im not usuaIIy aware of it...
    Anyways any thoughts?

2. It sounds like you are becoming much more aware of your surroundings though almost at random, in the sense that you don't necessarily focus on being aware but rather your subconscious brings upon the awareness.

When I am aware of my surroundings, especially in nature, every moment becomes much more beautiful.

Check this out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo&feature=related]YouTube - selective attention test[/ame]

3. wow.. i didnt even see the gorilla, but i got 15 rit :D

4. I definitely know what you're talking about OP...its a great thing when it happens. I feel like I'm seeing things the best way possible and it makes me more look at people as zombies sometimes because I feel like its not often anybody sees everything for what it is...and i wonder just how much they pay attention to what they are seeing...also with eye contact its a big thing... Whenever I look people in the eyes they always look away first and usually quickly... and when they do this I see basically a lack of cofidence or spirit in them... I know this experiment has been conducted with people and animals to prove dominance

but yeah when I begin to see like how you're saying its amazing. I always say its like seeing things for the first time even though id say now it happens to me a few times a week.

Haha I saw the gorilla and counted 15 but whats it supposed to prove? that I dont have selective attention? because I'm assuming selected attention is like not being able to see and focus on more than one thing at once, so by seeing the gorilla and counting correctly I'm proving I can pay attention to multiple things at once?

5. I'm pissed off right now, I had seen one similar to this the other day, so I thought to myself "Im not counting the passes, I'm just going to see what the 'subliminal' part will be...

AND I STILL MISSED THE GOD DAMNED GORILLA

FUUUU

6. #6 Mnemonicsmoke, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
    Seeing things for the first time is a good way to put it. Sometimes I wonder if it truIy is an aItered state of vision and not an aItered state of seIf...as it seems Iike you've got an entireIy different perspective on things

anyways I tried to induce the aItered state of vision again and nothing happened, I'm beggining to doubt weather it happened yesterday at aII, its hard to know because the mind can be very deceitfuI, aII I can say is that yesterday things certainIy seemed different and today they certainIy seem PIain, but I think I shouId just be greatfuI for tthis normaI perspective rather than obsessing why I cant induce the aItered one

another thing is that it truIy is very hard for me to remember what these experiences feeI Iike, its aImost Iike when youre in them your not too worried about makin memories but rather you're just "being" Some of the most amazing experiences I've ever had were when I was just "being" unfortunateIy I cannot reaIIy recaII any of them =P

7. it is an altered state of self...its your higher self really. you're understanding it well though, just continue to live in the moment and the present and continue forward