airline help...

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeandBlow, Dec 11, 2008.

1. alright so ive never purchased airline tickets myself, and have only been on a plane once before

im looking to go from tampa to chicago and ive been searching a bunch of sites for airline tickets on january first, and every site i go to has prices between 140-250 dollars with one stop layovers, like 7 hour flight total and a 3 hour flight back, but then theres like an 80-100 dollar tax, what the hell is this?! ive never heard of taxes that high on airline fare

does anybody know any good sites/why the taxes are so high?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. www.travelocity.com

works pretty good for booking flights and all that.

what you doing in chicago might i ask?

3. i couldn't find anything on travelocity cheaper then like 250 dollars without taxes...the cheapest ive found is 220 including tax, 6 hour flight :mad:

im visiting my friend and his girlfriend--who live in indiana--for a week or so
    they both used to live with me until they moved back to indiana

4. Taxes are always killer on airline tickets. They can vary depending on what airports your flying in and out of, and connecting in.

$250 is a good price to fly anywhere in the US.

5. #6 Rdaws420, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
    Thats about as good as its gonna get man. I just flew from Tampa to Detroit for a little over $200. And its getting closer to Christmas.

6. i get united airline tickets for free!!! my bro works for em =)

7. alright. i always thought taxes would be around 30 dollars or so, not 100 :p

ive even found some for 220, theyre 6 hour trips though

8. I've bought tickets where the taxes cost more then the ticket itself.

Make sure if you have any layovers they are at least 2 hours. Anything less then that and you have a big chance of missing a flight or losing a bag.

9. didn't think about that, thanks a lot for letting me know, i'll be sure to do that

10. im buying a roundtrip ticket and cant find any return flights that are nonstop, so is it safe to assume that i should make sure the layover on the return flight is 2 hours as well?

11. and if they ask for someone to give their ticket up, they give you a bunch of goodies. we waited a little over an hour (with the fam) and got over like $1000 of money for flights (between 5 or so i think i was traveling with)

12. Try Allegiant Air out of St. Pete/ Clearwater and Southwest out of Tampa for trips to Chicago.

13. Priceline is what I always use, but I'm getting roundtrips from way out West to the East coast and the tickets are usually around $300-$400. I don't agree with making sure you have at least a 2 hour layover, I've had layovers of less than an hour and I've never ran into any problems.

14. best days to fly are thurs and mon... if i remember what my mother told me correctly

part of why your tix are so expensive is the day you're flying (jan 1) as far as the taxes, couldn't tell you why they're that high... if i sill had my reservation e-mail, i'd compare it to mine (i fly IND-TPA a couple of months ago)

15. I use Southwest every time I fly. Helps that I only fly to one other place though. If I book it early enough I get pretty good prices every time. :D

16. STAtravel.com

Awesome site. Very low prices with most to all taxes included. Also includes great prices on hotels and rentals with great travel packages. Check it out.