Air Pump running hot. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by healthdude38, Sep 10, 2022.

1. I bought a 924gph comercial air pump and after turning it on for a day the temperature of my water in the reservoir went up by 8C degrees (20°C to 28°C).

The pump has 12 outlets but im only using 4, the others are closed. Could this be causing the pump to be running so hot? And if so, I only have 4x 15Gallon Dwc Buckets, what should I do with the remaining outlets? If add them to the buckets I think it's going to be too much air

2. 20190424_121218 (1).jpg Compressing air creates heat... Thought about using a water pump to oxygenate the water

3. Yep, if you close some outlets of it will give more resistance and therefor it will get hotter.
    Use more airstones ( never wrong) or get a cheap small Fan and point it towards the Airpump, that's what I do .
    Set the Pump outside of your Tent. A long hose (Spiral) would work as a cooling snake.

The more expensive thing is O2 Grow. Electrolysis............if someone knows how to build one of these things,he/she should make Tread just for the build.

O2 Grow | Dissolved Oxygen Emitters

4. The more outlets you block off the hotter the discharge air from the pump will be. The motor of the air pump coupled with the fact that you're compressing the space between the air molecules makes the air from the pump pretty warm, and with some bigger air pumps the air can get downright hot. I've eliminated all air pumps from my reservoirs because I was tired of dealing with the heat and pH issues. Now I just keep a small nutrient pump that comes on every hour for 5 minutes that creates a cascade of nutrient solution back into the reservoir, which drives oxygen bubbles into the reservoir.

However, I'm not growing DWC which requires air pumps. I grow with rockwool and the plants only get nutrient solution pumped through the roots twice a day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. When I ran RDWC I ditched all air stones in the system. Instead, I utilized the waterfall effect ( fluming?) in each bucket to obtain maximum oxygen levels in the H20. It worked extremely well!

• Like Like x 2
  6. I hang my air pump in the air in front of my a/c to cool it down and solved it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. General rules to making pressure. as in air or hydraulics .
    in order to create pressure there must a restriction, the by product of all restriction is heat....
    You dont to have a air pump .