Air pump questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Kf420, Dec 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hey people I have put together a design for a dwc sea of green setup with a 45 gallon pot (22x43) inches and was going to use a 32 watt air pump I found in online and wanted to keep the pump outside the tent and put the manifold for the pump inside the pot probably about 3 feet of 1/4 air tubing from the pump to the manifold. Will this be okay or should I put the manifold closer to the pump?

** I am aware the pump needs to be above the water level .

Thanks people

Attached Files:

2. Above the water level?
    The pump doesn't go in the reservoir , it normally is mounted outside the tent where it can get cool air to cool it .
    The pump isn't water cooled ,, it makes bubble in the reservoir …….
    Yes those seem to be good air compressors for hydroponics ..
    I have 4 of them ..

3. I know the pump doesn't go inside. I simply meant you have to put the pump up high so water doesn't get inside by running down the lines if the pump shuts off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I understand now .. you made sound like you were going to mount the pump in your reservoirs .
    I was thinking ,, fuck you need lots of help LOL .

• Like Like x 1
  5. PS its a diaphragm pump and will actually pump water …and your the only one I know who has made it a point to mount the pump higher then the water level .
    No big deal ,, I hang my compressors so I don't have to listen to the damn things vibrating around ..

• Like Like x 2
  6. I actuhtualy heard that from a old timer who said if the pump is lower than the water line and the line got free from the air stone water could run up the line and burn out the pump.

7. So the pump would have to stop pumping and the stone would have to fall off the line too and the pump would have to be below the reservoirs water line ..?
    And the intake and exhaust check valves would have to be malfunctioned and stuck open at the same time ?

If either valve is closed your theory goes out the window .

8. Not my theory I am a total noob when it comes to hydro and only know what I have read. Just something I read in a message forum like this one which all such forums have a very low reliability rate when it comes to the info you read in these places.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Since this forum has gone way off track and my original question is getting lost in the thread I wanted to ask again

Can I run 3 feet of 1/4 inch air tubing from a pump like this and then put the manifold in the reservoir of my dwc or should I have the manifold closer to the pump because pressure loss?

10. Pneumatics no the pressure isn't the same at all points .
    Air compresses easily when hydraulics compress 1 % for the first 1000 psi .
    but there are valves to adjust and equalize the pressure to each stone on the manifold . .
    I have my compressor's on the outside of my grow tents ,
    and on the inside of my walk in closet grow .
    I have my manifolds on the outside of my RDWC systems .
    I use both a bubblier and a 350 GPH pond mag model 3 pumps with a filter ..
    One if the compressor stops I have a back up system already operating
    two if the pond pump stops I have a back up system already operating .
    Three I like filtering my reservoir .

Hopes this helps

11. Thanks I was just trying to keep from drilling the extra holes.