Air Pump question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by BadAxe, Sep 12, 2010.

1. So i have a air pump with 2 outlets. I am Teeing it so I can have 4. Its a 25 gal pump and I am running 2 stones each in 5 gallon buckets with just over 3 gallons of water each in them, so teeing the 2 into 4 should not be a problem.

My question is, is it better to tee it at the pump, or tee it off right before the line goes into the bucket, or does it not matter which way? Thanks.

2. I dont think it makes any difference at all as far as air pressure at the stones.
    Do whatever makes it most simple as far as your tubing.
    If it was my setup I would run 2 hoses to the bucket and the T into 4 air-stones.
    I might even Y at the pump and run 1 (bigger) line to the bucket and then split it out.
    Remember - back pressure is one of the things that heats up and wears out pumps.
    But I dont think that going to 4 stones is going to significantly improve things.
    I have a 2-out Aqua Culture 3.5 W (2.8 LPM) running 2 stones in my 5 gal (3.5 gal "live") BB and it keeps things rolling pretty good.

Hope this helps!

3. I am not running 4 instead of 2 to improve things. My first grow was in a Rubbermaid bin. I ran 2 12" stones. This time around, I built 2 of Rumple's bubble buckets, including the PVC holder for the air stones. He uses 2 in each bucket. I have 2 buckets, so I am running 4 stones, 2 in each bucket, so I need 4 lines. Down the road I will get a pump with 4 outlets, but for now, I am running the Tees. Thanks for the reply and the info though.

4. Ummm - I think if you follow Rumple's thread he got rid of the PVC holder for the stones.
    So I guess you question is will your pump handle 2 BB.
    Well I use a 3W / 2.8 LPM in my bucket and it is rated at 20 - 60 gallons.
    I feel that is about right to run a single bucket.
    So your 25 gallon would be at the lower end of that.

Does your pump actually claim a power rating or LPM?

5. straight into the res , mine is doing just fine that way
    practical is best

6. I had problems running 2 stones off a single line. One stone always let more air through leaving the other just sitting there soaking. My pump might have been underpowered. I traded up for a better model with 2 outlets.

7. Thanks for all the advice guys. For now my 2 outlet pump is handling the 4 stones ok. Its still my goal to go get a pump that has 4 outlets ( or a 2 outlet pump for each bucket), but that will be when I have the spare $$$. The one side is weaker than the other, but both are making adequate bubbles in their buckets. Only 3 gallons of water to handle in each bucket, so its not that bad.