Air Layering - Root clones without cutting!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by zpyro, Apr 17, 2009.

1. For plants like GDP, this is an awesome alternative to losing a clone. Sweeeeet

2. just lost 3 out of 4 cloes I cut from a female........im doing this next time!

3. Wow great info, thanks man.

4. Fuckin brilliant man i saw this once in a video and it said 3 weeks so i guess it takes longer, but it allows you to grow without the chance of the clone dying.
    if it doesnt grow roots you can just get that thing off so it can grow again, im gonna try this today or tomorrow.
    seems to be a very rare method to search on internet, i bet lots of people do it.

5. The main problem I see with this (not saying it doesn't work) is normally when you take a clone it's a small cutting with just a few leaves for the small root system to support. With the air layering, once you cut the new clone from the mother plant the small root system has a large clone to support. It may be stressful to the plant. But I've never tried it. I thought about it before but I don't have any trouble cloning the normal way.

6. bumpin an old thread since i'm doing some air layering on a nice sativa mamma right now. wonder how these guys made out with their experiments?

• Like Like x 1
    Have you ever seen a Banyan tree?  This conversation makes me wonder if it might be possible to spread a single plant over a very large area using air layering.  Perhaps in combination with mainlining and SCROGing....  Any experiences or thoughts??

• Like Like x 1
  8. #48 Sativied, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    @EHauk3: you may want to look into "grafting" instead, similar, yet the opposite. Instead of taking clones, you'd add clones on top of an existing plant. :D

9. could you use this technique to strengthen the stem itself and boost growth while still attached to the mother?know this threads old as hell but

10. Seems like a good way to keep plant counts down for all of us medical patients

11. This is awesome! This would allow me to use all of my very small clone/veg space for mother plants of different strains. Now, as it is, I have to portion off a nice size of my small space for my cloner. If I could use the plants as cloners that would enable me to keep mothers of a wider variety of strains.

12. I see this being a new way of increasing roots. Doing it near the bottom. Then covering the new roots with soil. Fack taking clones. Make the main tree be a super beast

13. LOL!!! Hell yes!!! Have it spread across the grow room, one plant in 15 pots!

14. image.png Dont know if you understand my idea. But this is what im talking about. No pots involved