Air cooled QB96 v2 planning and building

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RiseOfTheTriad, Sep 16, 2020.

1. I can definitely see a difference between the old quantum boards and these. They are impressive. And with them in a 4x2x5 tent and tent temps under 80 all is good. I just need a better way to vent off the warm air than a hose across the floor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. #42 norml56, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    That's a pretty neat build. I'm curious how long it will take before the popular LED companies start building air-cooled hoods for their lights.
    I found it hard to remove the heat from my tents while running 600watts of QB boards since you can't easily contain them as you've done. Now that I have a proper grow room I switched back to my 1k HPS air-cooled with an 8inch inline exhausting the heat outside and I have to keep the speed controller on almost the lowest setting to keep the room hovering around 77. I plan on throwing 2 of the QB's in there for some supplemental light and just dim them down to 100watts or less. I'm thinking that should keep them running fairly cool.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Funny thing is this started in my head thinking about mounting my boards to a 12" duct with carbon filter attached at the end.

If smell wasn't an issue I would manage things a little differently

• Like Like x 1
  4. Did you consider mounting the drivers outside the tent and box only worrying about cooling the lights in the tent?

That way you could juice them up a bit more.

I have mine (drivers) on the roof of grow room and have a fan cooling them separately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I did. With the boards I had in the tent before I had the drivers outside of the tent. This build I wanted as few stray wires in the tent as possible. And it makes it really easy to unplug and move if I decide to.

The drivers I'm using didn't really seem to put off much heat in testing. I could have these running a lot higher but for right now until I tweak the final layout I'm keeping them tuned down.

I have to decide how to manage the heat and smell in the room they are in. Trying to be a little stealth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have decided to add the new ac infinity tent to my collection to put the old quantum boards to use. Haven't seen much about them

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bro, I gotta say, HLG should have out their note pad n take notes! I'm impressed n only at page one thought I'd see 96's in an hps hood. Which is cool to but you took it to the next level Very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  8. You guys aren't sweating efficiency hu? I run at 160 each & am about 2.2 I think.
    Nice job. Have you considered diffused covers? 20210415_042154.jpg Resized_20210406_215132.jpeg

• Like Like x 1