Air cooled QB96 v2 planning and building

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RiseOfTheTriad, Sep 16, 2020.

1. What type of fitting is that black thing?

2. 4" powertec inlet flange.
    I think I found them on Amazon

Had to trim some off the bottom to set it right. Luckily its plastic and easier to trim than cutting the 4" holes in the end caps. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kool, i thought it was a 4x4 abs bushing for plumbing. Thanks!

4. Ok here are my test results with a cheap 4" 190ish cfm fan

Running at 545 watts. I may tune it down to 400-500

Air coming out was 106f

Full disclosure i took my high temp early and the watts weren't cranked up.

I see a 50 plus degree drop as a win. In addition to the 106 degree air being pumped directly out of the area. That means less need for the portable AC. Especially during the winter.

I may even look into adding a vent in the garage to vent the hot air to. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Very nice. Looks like it's going to work out really well!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Haven't gotten that far yet.
    Once I chop one plant and have room to work I'll try it out.

First run will be with my better fan but with the filter.

Soon.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sweeet, got me something to look forward to on gc

-_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_-

8. It’s interesting

I started with a old mars 300 led, 150 hps and a qp96 v2 on a 185w driver

I’ve gone to qp132 boards recently and thought I was making a better move heat production wise. Idk

what u have rigged up is a very nice setup and I think is really pointing out how much heat 1 qp96 (driven hard) produces.

I have no idea.......Nice work

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tuned down to just over 200w per qb96 temps without airflow are stable at 160 degrees F

I was tempted to keep them cranked up but I am also thinking about the lifespan of the equipment.

Still have to get it in the tent and see the impact there.[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi Rise.
    At 200 watts, you're only running them at 61% of their max potential. You'll be just fine :) , but they should have active cooling at that wattage and above.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I guess I should clarify. They had no airflow because I was doing a short run the tune them to 200w and had the top off for the temp checks.

I thought about running the drivers maxed with the active cooling but I will hold on that until I get one run under them at 200 and see tent temp impact. I also need to build a new frame for my 4 quantum boards. I may put them into another tent.

Starting to see amber on the oldest plant so this setup should be in the tent soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh yes, right on!

13. I ran my single qb96v2 @400w for 9 months straight.
    They eat as much as you give them off you keep em cool.

Nice build!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Hi wwonka.
    What the hell were you cooling it with? Thats over 7 amps input.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I finally installed this beast. Tent temp and air out temp. Time to recycle the heat to keeping me warm in the winter. 20201219_193449.jpg 20201219_193455.jpg 20201219_200134.jpg 20201219_200149.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1