Air Cooled Lights and Ventilation?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Corn Man, Jan 25, 2012.

1. The exhaust duct from the lamp's cooling system runs to outside the grow area, dumping the hot air away from the grow. For maximum cooling, the lamp's cooling system should be completely separate from the grow area- the intake duct pulls air from a cool place outside the grow area while the exhaust lets the warm air exit outdoors.

If you pull air from the grow area through the lamp, a carbon filter will remove smell from it before it is dumped outside. If the lamp's cooling system is separate from the air around the plants, then the filter doesn't get mounted there, but on the grow area's exhaust duct.

2. I am talking about with a light like below, how does the air get filtered if it comes in, goes over the light, and goes out, how does the air from the grow area get filtered if it is completely separate? do I have to buy another fan and ducting fro the grow area?

[​IMG]

3. Or use a y split duct connector

4. Carbon filter hooked up to inline fan hooked up to duct to Cool Tube, Cool tube out.

Simple. The hot air is sucked up through the filter and shot over the lamp to cool and out the other end to the outside world.

The inline fan is more then powerful enough to push air over the light.

The air is sucked up from outside through the tent. You should see your tent kinda sucked in from the pressure change..which is what you want. Your creating a negative pressure environment. No tent is air tight..thats how it works. If your growing in a closet air will come in from under the door and hopefully you have a hole somewhere where you can push the air out.

You want to suck air through a carbon filter not push it out on the other end.

5. #6 Corn Man, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    I always thought it was something like this:
    [​IMG]

I hope that I took the time to draw this shows exactly how bad I want to get this figured out, I labeled everything, the lines is the ducting and obviously the arrows on it are the air flow, but I just don't get how if the air goes from outside, to ducting, to light, back outside, how it ventilates the grow room at all, and what the point of a carbon filters is if all you are filtering is the air you pushed over your light.

6. I will probably just poke a hole in the ducting just inside the grow box next to the intake, that way it can pull in the cold air from outside, while sucking in some from the inside as well, because why would I want to run the warm air from the inside of my grow box over the light bulbs?

7. I know what your saying dude.if u pulled air in through a duct across the bulb the through another duct to the exhaust then no u won't be circulating fresh air around your grow tent.
    In this case you would need to connect a split duct. Connector as someone above had mentioned to let off a little of the intake before it gets sucked back through the exhaust and prob also get another seperate exhaust if that makes sense lol :)

8. I got it figured out, I am basically going to copy this guy perfectly, just use a almost standard fan to push air in, and then have the powerful 440 CFM just like the one below. The fan pushing the air in is 240 CFM while the one pushing the air out is 440 CFM, which will create a negative pressure, right? and negative pressure good?

The fan I will have air pushing in: [​IMG]

The setup:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVqu4oz2EbM]Secret Jardin Dark Room 150 Complete Set Up - YouTube[/ame]

9. I don't think your quite understanding the whole set up and your also using a fan that most of us do not use. Most growers use this

HTG Supply - A GrowBright 4" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo

That fan can be hung up at the top of your tent or bolted to a wall in a the grow room. It sucks the hot air out...the surround air even warm is cooler then the air that is directly over the bulb. The very fact your sucking air into that fan system and out creates a negative air pressure environment which sucks in air outside the tent.

You live in a pressurized atmosphere depending on elevation the pressure is basically the same. When you set up a fan like I was saying all of a sudden the pressure in one spot on the planet earth..aka your grow tent drops...air from the surrounding area rushes in to equalize it. So in actuality your sucking in cold air and warmer air that is inside that tent. Get it?

Another reason to not have multiple fans is one they take up room two even the smallest uses about 90 watts of juice. Go up in size you wattage goes up.

To determine how much of a fan you need you need to know the cubic feet of growing space. Say you have a 10x10x10 tent you multiple that out. Thats 1000 cubic feet of grow space. Then you divide by 5...5 is a suggested number. What that number is, is in how many minutes does all the air in your space get exchanged. 1000/5 is 200. So you need a fan that says 200 CFM.

If you don't believe this is the proper way to set up a vent/cooling system for a tent check out the endless grows its usually how its done.

Also in your diagram that would be the incorrect method for the most part. in your drawing your pushing air out of the carbon filter...they work considerably better pulling not pushing. Also the end is sealed so you would have to have that filter outside your tent. You also have unnecessary ducting from the Filter to the Fan on the ground. The Carbon filter and Inline Fan will work way better as close as possible. The more ducting you have the less powerful your fan is, the more bends in ducting the more power you lose. How it should be is

Carbonfilter with attached fan Ducting to light Ducting from light to outside the tent. You can cool any light that is not he market with that set up.

10. That fan in the picture is JUST for for intake, the exhaust will be an inline fan with carbon filter, just like in the video I posted.

If you look in the video, he has a small fan like in my picture for his intake, then his carbon filter and inline fan combo sucks the air out of the grow tent, that's what it looked like to me anyways, but I am new to this, so I might have looked at it wrong.

Do you want positive pressure or negative pressure? I know the difference I just don't know which one is good =P

11. FYI

The original question has been answered, I now know =P

12. so was the vid the way your gonna set up or no?

13. Exactly like the video.

200 CFM pushing in

400 CFM pulling out

14. sweet! that'll help me out a lot . I'm trying to get everything figured out so i can start my first grow. If you don't mind me asking, what size is your tent? the reason i ask is i plan on going with a 36"x20"x60" so i don't think i will need as big of fans and because i won't be running as high of lights like you. ill be running either 250 or 400w hps/mh