Air cooled and sealed hoods vs. reflectors?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by northbay12, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hi

I am about to set up a 10 to 16 light room and have always ran air cooled and sealed hoods. I have seen a lot of people running "wing" type of reflectors and I like the idea of now having to have a ton of ducting throughout your room.

Does anyone know the pros and cons to running "wing" type reflectors vs. sealed hoods? Is it much harder to keep the temperature in the room where you need it? What is the benefit of not using a sealed hood?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. If you have environment control (read: Air conditioning) you shouldn't realy have too much trouble with nonair-cooled reflectors. there is a lot more heat put out, but that can be mitigated

3. what a lot of people dont realize when they run ducting to all the hoods is heat build up. usually the fresh air goes into the first hood then through the ducting and on to the next and so forth. when the air passes through each hood it gets hotter and hotter. this is bad for the bulbs towards the end of the ductwork. it can burn out bulbs easily and can reduce the life of them greatly.

4. Pros: Price... Cons: Higher heat...

5. #5 RO76, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
    I guess the correct way would be to install an intake inline fan,middle (in between the lights) and an outtake inline fan, air will pass so quick so it will not be able to significantly heat up when it gets to the last light in that set up it should work fine...

6. No. The correct way is to run a supply trunk line down the middle of the room and have fresh air delivered to each hood off branches. That's why they make all those "T" and "Y" connectors. As too the op's question, the only benefit to wing reflectors is that they are cheap to buy and cheap to install.