Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HELLSTONE187, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Does any one know a good portable air con that has a thermostat? I need it for my grow room.

2. That's a pretty wide question. How big is your garden? How much wattage in lights, what kind of lights? What climate do you live in? Where is your grow room located? In a basement or in the attic or?

keylime

3. Portable AC's pretty much suck.

I strongly recommend a window mount unit. If you can muster the cash (it isn't like the portable ones are cheap) a Mini-Split AC unit is much better. Look around, but I don't have a portable AC I would suggest to anyone.

4. @Keylime: Well lets see I have a 80L growlab grow tent with a 400 watt Mh and a 125 watt feliz blue spectrum cfl with a 435 cfm can fan.And the tent is 5 ft wide 3 ft deep and 7 ft tall it fits in a closet Im running 18 and 6 now and it can get as hot as 99 degrees in there if I keep it zipped up so I want a small but efficient air con

5. I was in the HVAC biz for about 10 yrs. So I need to ask do you really need A/C at all? You say that your closet gets as high as 99F, but you neglect to say if you have any ventilation in your tent, nor do you say the ambient temperature outside of your tent.

keylime

6. [quote name='"HELLSTONE187"']Does any one know a good portable air con that has a thermostat? I need it for my grow room.[/quote]

I have a in line 6 inch 435 c.f.m. exhaust fan that is connected to a exhaust port in the tent that runs through the light hud I live in Az the ambient air is about 78 if I keep the grow tent open it stays about 83

7. For ease of installation, I would go with the portable unit... 8-10,000 BTUs should be sufficient. You would be able to exhaust the hot air coming from the unit a lot easier than a window unit. You should then then put the unit inside the tent, or if there is no room..... you will want to fabricate a line to bring in the cold air to where your intake for fresh air is just outside your tent. I live in one of the northern states, and actually use one for my bedroom, but we didn't even need it last summer :) Good luck!

keylime

8. Fuck a portable bro. Build a wall in your room that you can put a window unit in. I have a small room 4' x 4' x 40" tall. and 5000 btu keeps it any temp I want really. Plus portables are taxed.. I had a 500.00 dollar 15,000 btu portable that really didnt even work man. I was PISSED. Now i just get window units of craigs list. If you buy them up in the winter you can get them for 25-50 bucks.

9. Have you checked out Ice Boxes?

10. Really? Your portable A/C was definitely fucked up in some way that it wasn't able to cool down a 4x4 room @ 15K btu. I have a 12K BTU portable A/C that cools my 11' x 9' x 7.5' bedroom with no problem. I live in So Cal, and with triple digits during summer, I'm able to keep the temp down to 82/83 degrees in the room.

11. [quote name='"fluffykush"']

Really? Your portable A/C was definitely fucked up in some way that it wasn't able to cool down a 4x4 room @ 15K btu. I have a 12K BTU portable A/C that cools my 11' x 9' x 7.5' bedroom with no problem. I live in So Cal, and with triple digits during summer, I'm able to keep the temp down to 82/83 degrees in the room.[/quote]

I must have had a problem bro. Either wayy I'm sure you know how pissed you can get when your garden is fucked up. I do my shit gangster style now lol. Window unit built into the wall. But hey it works. I only have a 400w digi but its in an attic and gets hot as hell during the summer.