Air Bubbles of Death

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by revolvR, May 21, 2009.

1. First off I would like to apologize for not posting pictures of this, there was no camera at the scene of the crime and no ones cell took a good enough pic. But here's the story...

My friend bought a piece (kind of a RooR knock-off but not horrible quality) about a year ago in Rhode Island for like $180, single 4-tree perc, defuser, ice pinch/catcher. It was a pretty decent piece. However, there was 2 or 3 small air bubbles throughout the pipe. It wasn't really ever a concern but last night he left his pipe in his car while we went to a party for a couple hours. Last night it got very cold due to rain, it was even freezing rain at some points. Anyway, we went back to his house, opened his case, and all we could see was broken glass...
    Were assuming that the weather had some type of effect on the air bubbles and caused them to expand, that or someone smashed it and put it back in his truck. Any ideas?

2. This is definitely more likely ^^^^

3. Well the only reason I couldn't see that as being the possibility is because he had it like in it's case under some sweatshirts and shit in the back of his truck which we locked, we didn't even take out the pipe at the party.

4. I was kidding dude

5. cold things contract i believe. how cold was it though?

6. It is unlikely that 2 or 3 bubbles caused this to happen, its more likely that he bought a chinese knockoff RooR and the poor quality of glass couldnt handle the change in temp. Just a guess, but usually you get what you pay for

7. That's what I said, I told him it was cheap glass and he shouldn't have had it out of his house to begin with,
    It went from like 85 to like 30 in a matter of like a few hours haha
    Don't do that I just woke up I'm not up to speed yet. lol

8. Now knowing the temp change I am pretty confident it was just cheap glass under a lot of stress because of the weather. Sorry for your friend, next time he should listen to you :p

9. cold things expand
    hot things contract

the air bubbles probably expanded and broke it
    sorry to hear about the loss

10. Other way round man, hot things expand, due to particles vibrating when heated causing them to move apart, thus expanding the overall material.

11. no sir

12. your fucking dumb. other way around. neg rep for giving out shitty info.

13. chill out man, the dude's probably stoned and got his information backwards. no need to be a dick about it.

14. Water molecules move in and around eachother. When ice is formed, the molecules EXPAND.

Neg rep for calling someone fucking dumb when they're partially right and probably stoned.

15. water is the exception to the rule... the VAST majority of substances expands when hot and contracts when cold.

16. just a consequence of cheap glass. good thing he never tried putting it in the freezer, would have been broken a lot sooner

17. - rep for giving wrong advice because in this context we are not talking about water expanding and contracting, we are talking about glass.

18. Thanks. :hello: Wasn't giving any advice though.

19. +rep for being -repped for no reason :hello:

20. Will I get - repped for viewing the thread? haha :bolt:

OP, just sounds like poor quality glass, the bubbles probably didn't have anything to do with it...