Ahh the ignorance of family and christianity..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Flemian, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Nascarfan, you really should stop spreading misinformation and deluded ideas.

Firstly, atheism is not a belief system. It is the lack of a belief system (the lack of belief in gods). Religions are faith-based belief systems because they are not based upon logical proofs or empirical evidence. Atheism does not assert that no gods exist (unless of course you belong to the minority group who are strong Atheists), it is simply a default position when no conclusive evidence is had.

You think Pascal's Wager shows the "significant problems" in atheism? Well, I would say that YOU do not understand the fallacies inherent with this wager. Here's a link to a basic refutation of it. If you go around touting some knowledge, you better be aware of its criticisms or else you look foolish.

"Science doesn't know shit. We've got tons of theories running around, but really no proof for any of it."

Ugh. You do not even understand the scientific definition of "theory". A theory is not simply a conjecture, hunch, or a guess as lay people use it. A theory in the scientific application and use of the word means a set of explanations for a wide array of phenomenon that are supported by known verifiable evidence and that make explicit predictions that can be tested to insure its validity. I think you are confusing the word "hypothesis" with the word "theory".

Both the theory of evolution and the Big Bang theory have multiple sources of independent evidence, as well as a framework from which explicit predictions may be made and rigorously tested and independently verified. If you disbelieve such theories it is because of your ignorance of them, as the evidence for both (especially evolution) is enormous.

(Do you even study biology/biochemistry or physics?)

2. Do you have any verifiable evidence for the existence of gods, spirits, or any other magical phenomenon?

3. Hello da people of the bud world. is there any jobs out there that will relocte you

4. #24 Flemian, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011

your groovy. I think the belief in a non god is the farthest thing from ignorant. It requires an actual understanding of the world around us instead of useing ockhams razor.

and thats the thing "when your life is on the line" it shouldnt take extreme moments of desperation for Me to be convinced of a god. Thats more like a person haveing no other idea what to do except hope for the best. Maybe I pray to Zues and Ra, or Thorr when Im feeling down or at a moment of extreme desperation. I would pray to allah before I prayed to yahwey. (christian god) The qur' an atleast aknowledges the non believers. In the bible it reads that every man in his heart knows god exist. Not Me.

So without a god, there is no fear of a devil. < BAMM

Im not targeting anyone or spreading any bullshit.

By asking if anyone has read the bible and then posting actualy bible verses is spreading bullshit then condemn Me to hell.

5. Your gma is being awfully judgemental for a Christian.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged" --Matthew 7:1

6. aero18, like I said you can believe whatever the fuck you want but don't go around bashing religions. You're disrespectin me and everyone else who's religious. If you truly want to see if any kind of spirits exist go play with a ouija board although I do NOT recommend it at all since its all evil. But since you're wondering I thought you should know there is higher power.

Flemian, that's your opinion and make it stay that way. Why you goin around disrespectin religious people? What we believe in has nothing to do with you.

But on topic I also agree that you should say I love you back to your grandma. Who knows how long she's/you'll/we'll all live cherish the moment while she's still with you.

7. I'm sorry but this post is off on so many levels that I felt like i was reading a glen beck book. jesus christ....:rolleyes:

Sorry to burst your ego but Atheism IS a belief. Atheism is simply the notion that deities do not exist, this in and of itself is a belief. Let me break down the fallacies in your opening paragraph.
    "Firstly, atheism is not a belief system. It is the lack of a belief system (the lack of belief in gods)" Here you state its not a belief system but rather a belief that no belief system exists. Then you attempt to clarify by stating it means no belief in gods. Twice in the same sentence you demonstrate hypocrisy.

Atheism does not assert that no gods exist (unless of course you belong to the minority group who are strong Atheists), it is simply a default position when no conclusive evidence is had.

In the first sentence you say that atheism doesn't assert that no god exists, yet in the sentence above you say "the lack of belief in gods"....
    Then you have the balls to go on and belittle atheist's by saying that if they believe that no god exists that they are in fact the minority. Furthermore you say that their ideas are simply a "default position" as if its some moot point without logical thought playing any role at all.

Second, the word theory, when used by scientists, refers to an explanation of reality that has been thoroughly tested so that most scientists agree on it. It can be changed if new information is found.

You forget to mention that last little sentence there in your condescending rant, that Theory is NOT Law. New information can be found that literally flips everything we know upside down (Galileo, Newton, and as of late the discovery of quarks are all evidence of this). You should know these references off-hand since your touting such "scientific knowledge."

Anyone who makes the claim that, "If you disbelieve such theories it is because of your ignorance of them, as the evidence for both (especially evolution) is enormous" is hypocritical beyond scope. You are already blinding yourself with your "limited and current" knowledge and in effect not allowing yourself to SEE anything any other way.

I'm thankful that TRUE critical thinkers can understand this fallacy. An open mind TO ANY AND ALL ideas is what will allow progression to move forward.

(Have you ever heard of Metaphysics? It helped to broaden my view and understanding of the relationship between science and philosophy).

8. #28 Turtle, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
    You should stop trying to argue with your grandmother about weed. She's an old woman and she is set in her ways, nothing you say is going to convince her that this "devil drug" is any good for you.

What you should say is,"I love you grams and I thank you for the advice, but the decisions I make are my own". It's respectful and your not downright disagreeing and arguing with her like you did before.

Idk, I just think it's disrespectful to argue with a grandparent like that. They are always right, no matter how wrong they are. Everyone in your family owes them.

Wat

9. ^^ I dunno who said that, but I believe it does imply that no god's exist. The word you may be looking for is "Agnostic"

10. And your not going around bashing people who dont believe in a God? Lol ignorance is bliss...practice what you preach kid

11. Ouija boards open the gates to evil? What the FUCK are you saying? How does that happen? I've used Ouija boards many time and have NEVER experienced ANYTHING different, let alone evil...

Provide some empirical evidence for got to exist, then I'll believe you. Until then,

faith: belief that is not based on PROOF.

12. Any religious discussion can benefit from this pic:

[​IMG]

Not for Grandma though....let her believe what she wants. All of these are workings of the 'debil' anyway...lol....rrrright.

13. the circumcision one all ways makes me chuckle haha

14. Out of curiosity, where did you find this out? Is it in the Bible?

15. #35 Flemian, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011

Jer. 19:9 I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh during the stress of the siege imposed on them by the enemies who seek their lives.
    Ezek. 5:10 Therefore in your midst fathers will eat their children, and children will eat their fathers. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.
    Lev. 26:29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

As fir everyone sayin Im disrespectful to My grandmother, I am 100% respectful to her in person, but she messaged Me like Ive done wrong and with the intent to brainwash Me. So I was abrassive and honestly that's what's needed otherwise the point won't be made.

16. Oh the irony...:rolleyes:

17. I see you only glanced through the book because if you didn't you would have realized that these are all prophecies that God forewarned them of. Yes they did do it but it was of there own choice........ need I say more?

18. Stuff like this makes me so glad I came from a non religious household.

19. Well first of all, atheism is a system of beliefs, in which you do not believe in any higher power/supernatural anything or anything of the sort. You may call it "a lack of beliefs" but that's really just a roundabout way of defining what atheists believe.....which would also be knows as their system of beliefs. But you're really just arguing semantics here.

I very well know the definition of theory. Though I'm not sure you do. A theory is not proven. If it were, it wouldn't be called a theory. It may be supported by scientific evidence, but not concrete, undeniable facts. Otherwise, it would be called a Scientific law, or perhaps it would have its own name, but the word theory would be nowhere near it. Hypothesis is an educated guess, before any sort of experimentation. Anything can be tested, and show that something is so. But if there is no way of knowing that that would be the case 100% of the time, that's not necessarily proving the point.

And how does it make me ignorant, to not believe the theory of evolution in its entirety. Are you honestly going to argue that there are no holes in this theory? I'm not saying I don't think part of it is true. I'm not saying that I don't think a lot of it is true. But the theory has it's flaws. That's what I'm pointing out. And I think there's no reason that atheists should be so elitist about the topic of religion. Because there is, in fact, a lot we don't know about where we came from. How can anyone know with 100% certainty, that there isn't some sort of higher power, not necessarily an entity, but a higher power or driving force, that wasn't behind all of the strong theories about how we came to be, and evolution? You can't know that, it's impossible. And that, my friend. Was my point.

20. allah,yahwey,christian god guess what man the three are refering to the same thing god :laughing: cuz they study the same bible.fucking crazy when i first found out.