Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

aged stoners Shoud go green...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Yoda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. YODA: Good story. I can relate to all of it, and then some.

I'm so old that when I was in school they hadn't invented baggies yet. Mothers wrapped sandwiches in either aluminum foil or waxed paper. And I'd better bring my brown bag home because she would use it again and again until it was falling apart. My parents were young adults during the Great Depression and wasted nothing.

When I got a hole in a sock my mother (and all the other mothers) darned it instead of throwing it out like today. Who even knows what "darning socks" means today?

When I left a room I'd better shut the light off or my father would yell at me. Didn't want to waste the electricity.

After they invented Ziplock bags I learned a trick from my mom that I still do today: I wash them out and keep using them until the zipper breaks.

People conserved back then because they didn't have the money to do otherwise. People have so much extra cash today that they have to be forced, via "Green" laws, to conserve.

Yadda, yaddo, Yoda, I could go on and on . . .

• Like Like x 5
    And you are still doing it. Whatever guy. You are a lost cause. What are you, drunk? If you want to be a moderator go to the join the team link and apply. I'm sure you'll get the job. Way to derail the thread with a piss poor attitude over petty shit.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I thought I was a cheapskate, :laughing: I haven't gotten to the ziplock washing stage yet, but I do live in the country...so I never throw away anything usable. I found out a long time ago if I throw out that piece of 2x4 or old electrical breaker box....guess what I'll be going to town to get in a few days?

:gc_rocks:

4. #24 garrison68, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    The brown paper bag is also an excellent way to make fruit ripe by putting the bananas, or whatever, in and and it will ripen them up very evenly and quickly.

Ok, I've got insomnia so here we go:

But if you DON'T throw it out it will lay around forever cuz you'll never need it. I've got mountains of junk like that around.

Tricks I learned on my own. Laundry: I always do everything in cold, unless I happen to have a load of whites which happens prolly less than once in five years.

I've always thought laundry detergent was over priced, and most of it stunk. I made my own some years back and it worked okay but was a PITA to make. So I got to thinking, why not use dish detergent? It has grease-cutters in it and it doesn't stink. That's all you really need if you think about it -- bodily fluids are all water soluble anyway. I use "Ajax" brand for dishes and clothes, it's inexpensive  and it works great. It's a fraction of the price of laundry soap.

Another thing: unless I have some really greasy jeans, I run everything on the delicate cycle. All we're trying to do is remove dried bodily fluids mostly, not hard to do, and the clothes will last longer if you don't agitate them roughly on the regular cycle.

I don't own a clothes dryer; I hang mostly inside, sometimes outside. I learned an Eskimo trick: You can take wet clothes out when it's below zero and hang them and they will dry. They will start to freeze before you get them hung, but eventually the ice will evaporate, just like water. The colder it is out, the better it works.

I heat with wood and coal, but that's another story.

Here's a water pre-heater I made a few years ago. It the black thing that sits behind the coal/wood stove; the chimney is to the right. It's 1/8 aluminum tubing, 7" in diameter and holds about 8 gallons as I recall.

Water comes in the bottom and exits the top where it goes to the electric water heater. The water coming out of my basement in the winter is around 35 degrees, and this tank boosts it up by 50 degrees or so, so the electric heater doesn't have to work so much. The system works better than I figured it would.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Fizzly- I can tell one way you are losing heat! That nice window in the door, (it looks exactly like the one I have with double panes and yellow plastic trim) is letting out a lot of heat! I cover all but the center pane with bubble wrap.  Try this- tape up a bit of bubble wrap on a window and let it just sit a while. The feel the glass and then the bubble wrap! HUGE difference!

With the way the winter has been for you on the east half of the US, power outages are VERY possible. Having a bunch of bubble wrap stashed in a closet, can make the difference between a cold house and a freezing one!  I bubble wrap the large north-facing window in my sons' computer area every winter. They never look through it, anyway- too busy with their computers! It keeps the room much warmer.

And I still have my darning eggs, inherited from my mother-in-law. (I bet most of the readers are going :confused_2:  what the "infarction" is a "darning egg"? lol)

We still use rags for a lot of cleaning chores. We have boxes for recycling- even for the plastics that have no value.  Our local health food store will take paper bags for their customers to reuse- and we take ours in. Plastic bags, if not used for other purposes, are recycled and we also use cloth bags - when we remember to put them back in the van! lol

My son is soaking dry beans for home-made ham and beans tomorrow night. But it is with his made-from-scratch pizzas that are fantastic!  And our 3 "semi-pet" chickens recycle much of our garbage. The water from the well is OK, but about once a week we go to the headwaters park and dip some of the finest water on Earth for free!  I do hand quilting, and have a mess of county fair ribbons to show I am good at it!  My family never goes cold at night, and they sleep under works of art!

I am also good at taking "nothings" and creating a comfortable household. I once bought a structurally sound hide-a-bed couch that cats had scratched the corners to ribbons. It cost me $10! I went to the thrift store and spent $6 on 2 huge trash bags of 4 inch polyester "quilting squares"  (FYI- poly is lousy for making real quilts!  :cool: ). Got busy on my treadle machine (1911- still have it) and made a patchwork cover and sewed it onto the couch! So for $16 I ended up with a very unique and colorful couch that doubled as a bed when my kids had friends over.

We live simply, but quite well, on a low budget. :yay:

Granny

• Like Like x 6
  7. Generation Y checking in. That was funny as hell, I'll give it to you. But don't get it wrong, its not 'the green thing' we're pissed for. It's the transition from the "do your own thing" attitude, to "just say no". It's the "you do as I say under my roof", despite rebelling against their conservative parents. Its the "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" followed up by stable jobs and a nice pension. Its the inheritance of social security debts that we won't collect ourselves. I could go on, but in short: save me the bullshit. 

• Like Like x 1
  8. lmao..love the replies folks...

When my 3 kids were young we didn't have much, we used to hang the paper towels so we could use them again when they dry..lol..

today....Doin makes our laundry detergent, she grows our herbs and vegies, not all but most of them,
    she makes all her hand creams and shampoo as well as our mouthwash. We make and grow as much as we can as we don't trust all the chemicals in the store bought shit ya know...

By the way folks, the seasoned tokers is for seasoned tokers.
    If we care to talk of ingrown toenails then that's what we will do.
    We need a place to get away from the younger chat that goes on here, I don't think many seasoned tokers care about their bedroom smelling like weed, or how do I hotbox a car. If I smoke weed will I smell like it.
    And my favorite... how can I get higher smoking weed. It gets old, and only leads to one of us saying something shitty to johnny who just wants to know what  the effects of smoking weed while having sex is....:laughing:

imo..the effect is your doin sex wrong..lol

• Like Like x 9
  9. #29 Yoda, Jan 31, 2014

are you sure your generation Y ...your awful angry.
    Sry your so angry.. remember your generation is voting just as ours did, what is happening to you is also happing to us. I would say our generation didn't vote our current leader in. But we are paying for it anyway.
    That's the way it works kiddo....

it was a light hearted joke about a tree hugger.. are you a tree hugger?

Did I read that right, it was unfair we want respect in our own home?
    dude if we rebelled we got our ass beat, we didn't do that. manners and respecting your elders is what our parents taught.  the social security ...really.... do you know how long that song has been getting sung and how many people still today get it. scare tactics man, they cant take your money and then tell you its gone. wont happen.
    I wont speak for everyone but I worked my ass off for everything I have, as you Im sure are doing the same.
    nothing is free. ...

• Like Like x 4
  10. chill out gramps!

• Like Like x 3
  11. #31 walterbishop, Jan 31, 2014
    Man I used to love fresh book brown paper bag book covers on my school books. Drawing on them was the best thing. Well next to my Trapper Keeper, that was actually THE best thing. Heh.

• Like Like x 3
  12. wait till you get older youll be pissed to.....:p

No one asks for it...:laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  13. #33 TheAnswer121, Jan 31, 2014
    I'm not really that old but I remember all that shit. Hilarious, and frightfully true post, Yoda. Love the paper bags as book covers, or walking to the corner store instead of driving. Time for me to go green :smokin:

• Like Like x 3
  14. I don't believe it.
    At long last a thread that actually belongs in the Seasoned Tokers section!

• Like Like x 4
  15. and how about the reception its getting..lmao

• Like Like x 1
  16. @[member="Fizzly"]
    I know exactly what you mean about the things you save, and rarely ever needing them until you get rid of them....that'll really fuel the ol' OCD...

I always save scrap metal and scrap lumber, so many times I've needed a piece of plywood 10x12 inches and couldn't stand the thought of going to town and buying a 4x8 sheet for that. Many welding projects I've done would've been impossible without my drum full of scrap metal...always seem to find just the right piece....

One last thing about dealing with trash...I go to a transfer station to dump my household waste, most of which is recycled thru a single stream method....all cans, bottles, newspaper, mail, plastics, and cardboard go in the same box....I compost my vegetable waste, so I barely have a small bag of un-stinky garbage per week....pisses me off when I'm at the dump and people pull up with 5 bags of trash and when they throw them in the compactor I can hear all the bottles and cans clunking around.....then they bitch about their property taxes going up when we need a new landfill...... :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  17. This is stupid joke if you are trying to defend the "older generation" like my dad was when he read it to me. All this tells me is when they were kids they were taught to not be wasteful, but they didn't pass that on to the next generation. Seems like things were fine when they entered the world, and now it's a shit show.

I don't actually think we should blame anyone; humanity fucked up a bit. Everybody needs to do their part to be less wasteful though, and it is ridiculous to say anybody doesn't need to be as green because they were so green as kids. 

18. @[member="Borborygmus"]

The way it seems to me is that we used to be able to repair a TV, or toaster, and use it a while longer to get more value from it....but in the last 30 or so years we have turned into a non-repairable, throw it away society. Most of the products we use today are designed for single use and to be discarded....corporations make much more profit when they can sell us throw away products, like single use oil based plastic bottles....and on and on.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Are you talking about the ones that think this is a question and answer section?
    Because if you are, they will never understand the reason for this section.

• Like Like x 2
  20. #40 Yoda, Jan 31, 2014

I wasn't blameing anyone..

Ill explain this... the girl makes a sarcastic remark to the old lady saying if you guys had done a better job being green we wouldn't be so screwed.

When the fact of the matter is technology is what did it, and technology continues to do it. They feed a humans lazy bone with gadgets that promote laziness, then they wonder why our people cant drive without their gps and the obesity rate is so far out of control.

The lady didn't blame the girl, she was pointing out, we did and most of us continue to go green, more so then say the person who throws away 30 water bottles a week,

Im not pissed at the younger generation, how can you be mad at them for being human, Its what humans are doing to our world, right under our noses, Look up th effects of a cell phone over time, that will scare the hell out of you, brain damage among other things,
    and after you read it, next time you go out , look around, notice all the folks with them to their ear, or even just texting, 75% or more of everyone you see. People cant function without them and hell I can go a week without a phone and never miss a thing, I don't even have a cell..

So please don't take this as I blame anyone, there are folks of all ages that just don't get it.
    In fact if you read this thread youll see some of them,

btw I think most of us did everything we could to pass on what we learned, You can talk till your blue in the face a person wont learn until they decide that's what they want..

• Like Like x 4