Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by sikander, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Do any of you believe in it? What do you think it looks like? Is there a judgment of some kind? Does the judgment depend on your religious denomination?

I don't believe in an afterlife. The way I see it, when you die, you're dead, so make the best of what you've got here.

2. we become the elemental from whence we derived our exsistence... a state of infinite conscience and knowing and being... death is the moment we enter the most blissful state our atoms can ever know... life is but one application of the atoms in the universe, but it is the only one that is self limiting in its conscience and intellect. It blocks its surroundings through a filter in order to survive and continue as that form of life.... only in death are we free...

3. i don't think the afterlife is anything like going to hang out on clouds in heaven, but i do believe our energy will keep going...i think that when consciousness leaves the body it returns to a basic ecstatic state in a massive bank of energy that fuels new life...whether or not there is order to that, i have no idea.

on the surface though, there is an idea out there that intrigues me..i have experienced extreme time dilation while on psychedelics..i'm sure many of you have heard about the idea that a psychedelic cocktail including dmt gets released at the moment of death.

if this is true, i don't think it's a stretch to say that in that moment the psychedelic drugs can extend into infinity and within that infinite moment, depending on what type of person you are, you will experience an eternity of heavenly bliss or hellish emotional torture.

4. #4 sikander, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
    So it's sort of like reincarnation, but instead of with a person's soul, it's more like with their chi /ki/prana?
    Self-limiting? In what way?

Also, another question I forgot to ask: How did you arrive at your current understanding of the afterlife?

I never really believed strongly in the afterlife- certainly in a sort of generic way but I didn't have any real concrete ideas. Over the years my stance has moved from generally-undecided to philosophically agnostic (questions about God and the afterlife are empirically untestable and therefore unanswerable) to philosophically agnostic but leans towards no God... to finally just going all the way to atheism. My belief in an afterlife came crashing down alongside my belief in God.

5. pretty much.
    psychedelics are the main reason i have any ideas concerning the afterlife..i can't honestly say i understand it because i am always left with more questions than answers. once you've experience infinity it's hard to convince yourself it's not there waiting for you.

the experience i took the "energy bank" idea from was an acid trip. i was laying down on my bed in the dark and inside my head it was like otherworldly music was bouncing around in there as if working through a musical code, getting closer and closer to a gateway.

the rhythm kept bouncing around until i felt a sensation as if i was falling..i fell for a long time, falling farther and farther away from myself until eventually i was surrounded by what felt like a blueish white life energy. it was inside of this energy that i almost disappeared.

it was as if my energy was meshing with everything else while at the same time everything else was taking over my physical being. before i was totally taken over i heard a voice inside my head that isn't my own, and at that i gasped with my own voice and my being returned to me.

at the moment of returning to myself i was so shaken..i intuitively knew that i had been almost enveloped by death.

6. Our conscience limits our perceptions of our true connection to all around us, we create an ego, a self perception, a boundary between us and everything else. Our intellect and reason, and perhaps life itself, the drive to survive (there has not been enough cellular studies of life in terms of philisophical arguments derived from potential results) filter our perception. Our brain does not even transmit everything that is happening around us, only what it deems relavent,

i came to this understanding over the course of 2 mushroom trips devoted to philisophical thought in a setting condusive to thought and with minimal distractions. I feel it will change over the rest of my life, ( and as i explore new substances, namly dmt, 5-meO, more lsd, salvia, and mushrooms)

7. There has got to be something that happens after we die. Theres been numerous reports of people seeing "ghosts" of there dead parents or siblings in the house they lived in so theres just gotta be some kind of energy that lives on.

True story- My good friends grandmother claims she talked to and saw her great aunt 10 years after she died in a form of a see through cloud type image when she was younger in the room she used sleep in. She said she wasnt allowed to say what they talked about but she was 100% serious about this. She has strongly believed in ghosts and afterlife ever since.

8. I'm not sure.
    It's a question I've always wondered an answer to.

I rather not think about it, and when I do, I go all deep into it trying to find out the mysteries behind it.

9. this right here is some real deep shit and I like it man He summed it all up dont say anything if someone has already said it better.

10. I do believe in an afterlife. I am certain there is more to our existence than just life on earth. What happens in the afterlife? That is up in the air.

11. In the sciences (and I only bring this up because I'm a hardnosed naturalist) anecdotes are of extremely limited value because there's no way to know everything that's going on. How do we know that these numerous reports aren't all the occasional random hallucination or misinterpretation of some other visual phenomenon? You weren't there, you certainly don't know, and neither do I. Oftentimes, it's hard for even the person having the experience to know.

12. the death of our physical body is by no means the end of our spiritual life.

13. #14 Sam_Spade, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  14. They repossess your trailer and you stand there watching where it used to be? Or you go to a hell where that music plays nonstop forever?

15. There must be an afterlife. Life is a test of our soul. To test our morals, attitudes, behaviors, and actions. Death, i believe, is uncomprehendable to understand completely. Afterlife is infinity.

Just think what infinity exactly is. Its insane.

16. That's only the start.

It ends with you taking a ski lift into the hazy gray sky, your empty burning car doing donuts in the parking lots, and the chicken just keeps dancing.

17. in the natural world nothing is wasted. we are a part of the natural world and therefore we are also not wasted. the trillons of cells in our body must go somewhere somehow, and perhaps are reformed into something else. my belief is reincarnation, which in my mind scientifically makes sense

18. and is our consiousness part of the organic world of earth? i believe the consiousness is infinite, always has been and will be, and is all connected to One. for now when you die your consiousness enters the dimensions.

19. when your brain dies you die.

near death experiences are from dmt in your brain that helps you deal with dieing.

seeing angles and the "bright light" is a dmt trip. nothing more.

so no I do not believe in after life.