After the Harvest - A Guide to Drying and Curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by nugglord_420, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hey all! This seems like the place to post this problem. So, I flushed my plants weeks ahead of time, and cut them down and trimmed them pretty well. I dried them in a closet, with a fan on medium bouncing the air off of a wall before it got close to the plants.

When the flowers were crispy all around, but, just before the stem would snap, I trimmed all of the buds off, and put them into a glass jar. It's one of the latch kind with the rubber gasket from the container store, so, I'm pretty sure it's not the problem. I closed the lid in the early AM, went to work, and came back 15ish hours after I had closed the lids, and I opened the jar, and the buds all seem very very moist, almost past ability to burn.

Did I do something wrong?

Do I just need to dry them more over a screen / sheet in the closet?

Thanks in advance!

2. A fan bouncing off a wall on medium and then straight into the buds is probably a bit much, u want air movement, not necessarily to blow your buds, chances are u dried the outside, but it dried too quickly to suck out most of the inside moisture, when u put them in a glass jar this then get the buds moist again, also 15 hours isnt long enough to dry your crop, at least not properly drying it, it will take anywhere from 5-15 days depending on varying factors such as air movement, humidity, temperature, size of the buds, when last fed etc etc.

What i do is out in drying racks for about 2 days, turning occassionally, into jars for a while (moving and opening/closing jars for air movement to prevent mold) then back out in drying racks for a bit, then back in jars to cool, again opening and closing periodically.

3. Yesss, please a sticky, will be using in another month ta 2 months. thanx:smoking:

4. Bra, in my own opinion, just LEAVE IT, Some might say other wise, but if u bought or smoked some of that bud that it came off of, and if was even just a little damp then it will be tha bomb...... I've had several similar experiences. i've let some dry out for nearly 2-3 months and could still take a brown bag, press it (slightly) and it'd still soak it.... But if ur that worrieed about it. Just put it over top of ur frig. for a day. it'll cure right up! But keep a close eye on it. and don't let it get to crispy. then u won't have jack crap.

5. thanks man, great guide..

I should be putting it to good use in a month or so :).. I just don't know where to dry and keep it private from parents.. One of the two cellars is a option but its as damp as shit down there. . any suggestions?

6. I'm in my first grow. Sounds like drying is the hard part to get right. I was figuring to just wait until I thought it was dry, then give it another week for good measure. But now I hear that someone dried it for a couple months and it was still wet? How could that be? Might you ever want to make the air around it less humid eg with a dehumidifier?

7. hey woof. i havve always just hung it up in my shed with a rotating fan on it leaving it in the dark. id leave it in there for a week maybe a few days longer and they would usualy be decent enough to put in bags or jars to cure. what ever you like to do. i like ot give teh buds a light squeeze with my fingers to make sure that it expands back out or if its realy dry crumbles between them so i know i have very low or no chance of molding my product.

8. would someone please post some pictures of the cropping process

Also, how long will marijuana maintain max potency before starting to deteriate?

9. it doesnt deteriorate. after its all dried out u can leave it in a jar for a verry long time and long as you dont get any condensation goin then theres no way it will gget moldy. it only gets more flavourful. the harvest process is very easy. if u want to see some pictures type it in google. im sure youl find wh at ur looking for.

10. thanks

11. thanks for the good thread!

12. I thought you hang it upside to dry

13. yep. then put it in jars to cure it. u can do it when its a little moist but u have to open the jar and remove the buds every 24 hours for about 15 minutes then put thm back in untilt ehy get compeltely dry then u can leave em in there for a long time.

14. very nice guide, pretty much exactly how i do it, just instead of jars i use a brown paper bag, it only take a couple days and i find it works the best.

15. Clarity thats what I like about it.Thanx 4th post

16. yeah I use the brown bag method also, until they are pretty dry , then move them to jars for at least a month to remove the harshness.

17. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

You want to redistribute the moisture during curing, and freezing the jars you cure in would defeat the purpose IMO.

I'm not sure though, as I've never tried it. Throw a jar in the freezer and tell me how it goes!

18. will this give you more of a couchlock than a cerebral high?

19. how many minutes do you let the jar open to let the moisture escape?

20. Possibly. I would think strain would have more of a factor, though.

Five minutes should be good.