After the Harvest - A Guide to Drying and Curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by nugglord_420, Jun 9, 2008.

1. thanx dude.. yeah pretty much the same as the guide man.
    a proper flush is really key as well.

bump

sticky? :) :wave:

2. Great info......thanks!

3. Question, probably a stupid one, but...

I wanna harvest my plants a bit at a time as suggested, top colas first so that the rest of the plant gets loadsa light. However, i also read that putting your plants thru 24hr of darkness before harvesting improves the potency. So, how do I combine these techniques or is it just not possible? Presumably there is zero point in putting already chopped colas into darkness and the part of the plant that you keep going surely wouldn't respond well to that period of darkness?!

Am I making sense? :eek: Does anyone get what I'm on about. Very baked. If you can't combine the two, I guess what I'm saying is:

Is it preferable to give the whole plant 24hrs of darkness before you chop it all for stronger but smaller buds or harvest a bit at a time, resulting in more, bigger buds?

4. Little help? :)

5. I've heard alot of arguments go either way on this one. Personally, I don't do it and wouldn't recommend it. There's an increased chance of mold forming in the darkness. Just cut the colas that are more ripe and harvest in progression.

If you want to try it though, harvest your ripest colas first - then leave the ones you want on and shoot for a darkness period.

Happy growing!

6. Thanks nugglord! :D That's a big help. I reeeeeeeeally don't want mouldy buds having come this far! It seems like the sensible option, stagger the picking and drying for a constant supply!

I might test out the dark theory when I'm just left with a few bits of popcorn on the plant. First grow, don't wanna/can't afford to waste any!!

7. I'd definitely say that's your best bet.

Not to mention, it's always fun having a little experiment to see what you can do here or there.

8. I'm hearing you man, it's all I can do not to keep fucking with them in one way or another!! First grow, so trying to keep it simple. Looking forward to the techniques I can employ in my next grow. :)

It's nearly harvest O'clock and my grow room is smelling...... well, delish. Tres excited.:smoke:

9. Very well worded brother, couldn't have done that well myself

10. does that mean u chould harvest buds that r not done and they will get good if dryed and cured right?

11. Well you want your buds to reach some sort of maturity. What you can do is cut the more mature buds (the ones on top that receive more light) first, and let the more immature ones grow out a little bit.

12. Are there any different ways to drying the buds after the harvest, so as not to have them hung up in plain sight? I think I've read about using a paper bag, but i might be mistaken...

13. Nice guide!

14. They don't have to be in plain sight, actually a closet would be the best since it stays dark...

There are other ways of drying, like using paper bags - but I find this method inferior because it causes inconsistencies in the dried product.

Thanks man! :wave:

15. :hello: found my way here , very informative post , i neglected to take all the leaves off the buds , some seemed too small to bother , guess ill do that tomorrow seeing as the jars need opened for air anyway..sigh..i could get used to this

All the years of hassle of scoring ..distant memory Free Weed Rocks :hello:

16. last time i snipped the plant, and then snipped and trimmed the plant straight away, leaving it to dry on stackable drying racks in the grow tent. Why would hanging them upside down be preferable to this, or is it just another method to get same results type situation ?

17. As long as you don't have any light in there, and it remains under 50% humidity and about 68F...

you'll be good to go!

18. sounds good :), i prefer to do it my way as everything is trimmed while still abit moist which is easier than when its dry, also no further water is entering the buds from the stems.