after seed cracks.....rockwool help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Meraxes, Sep 7, 2011.

1. after my seed cracks i've been putting them into rockwool and then under light. it seems once i do this they stop growing and i cant figure out why. my last seedling (automaria) died. the cheese i have in there now, the taproot looks yellowish. i threw a bunch of bagseed into germination because i'm going to get this down before i kill any more $. so i'll fire a few questions here because i've been reading all your posts for a month and should be having at least some success. just need to break it down to specifics....

1) what length should the taproot be before even screwing with it?
    2) lot of contradictions on this one- after the seed cracks, shows taproot, and is moved to rockwool, do you put it under light or keep it dark until the round leaves appear? i've been putting under light with adequate ph, temp, and humidity so i'm confused.
    3)how much does rockwool really raise the ph? seen guys on you tube do it with strait tap water and they pop.
    4) does Ja just not like me? love you GC.....

2. 1. Screwing with it? You shouldn't really touch the tap root. Just once it pops and you can see it, you could probably put it into the rock wool.

2. I put it under light. I also put a bag or something over it to keep the moisture really high.

3. Reading the rockwool package, it says to soak them in 5.5 PH water. I would do that, but I've heard between 5.5 and 6 is fine.

3. Is the tap root facing downward going into the rockwool.. It needs to be..

Sounds like your planting em upside down and when the tap root hits light it dies..

The seed shell should be the top and the tape root the bottom..

Hope this helps

4. I soak the rockwool in PH'd tap water for a few hours, put the germinated seed in tap root facing down, and then put it in a humidity dome under cfl's. never have a problem

5. Never had a issue with using a wet towel put that in a container place it on a heating pad on low, 24-36 hours later I plant it in its final resting spot.

As far as screwing with it...dont.

6. screwing wasn't meant in the literal sense fellas but i thank you for any help.

7. I've found that by soaking the seeds in distilled water for 24 hours then moving into a wet paper towel for another 24-36 hours. I make sure that the wet paper towel is in a tupperware container (lid on to keep the humidity in there) and place on a warm surface (I use a heating mat) and you'll get that taproot out of the shell. then i presoak the rockwool in 5.2 pH water (Rockwool will raise pH) and make sure that it's damp (not soaked). but I leave them in a dark place on top of that heating mat with some type of humidity dome. a plastic baggy works ok for this. once they come above the surface, THEN i put them under the light.

i prefer to use a t5 flouro light for seedlings, but you can use an HPS or MH if you keep it far enough away, dont want to burn those little delicate leaves.

good luck, I've done a lot of rockwool grows, so I know it can be a little confusing at first

8. ok, D, you made me see the light brother- i didn't soak the rockwool in ph adjusted water. i let it sit....but didn't adjust. how much of a fluctuation of ph are we talking here?

9. techboy, it was taproot down so thats not it

10. I am braving a bagseed that I know is from lemon haze, well I think, and I got it 30 hours ago under 2 plates and a damp towel.  it is showing its root but I put it back up there for maybe another day.  
    fortunate that happened b/c I have $$seeds on  the way and this is My first.  so the pH and rockwool and all that are arriving In a week.  What Can I use till them lol! its good I got a freebie seed tryout one. but medium (coco and perlite and rockwool) isn't here yet!   any ideas? 
    my 2 plates w papertowel is in a Tupperware (not sealed but upside down) warmer place, above fan and Tent exhaust.

let me know what happens.  and if anyone has any good ideas of what I can do to house this soon to sprout seed for a week let me know.  idk if soil to coco is ok

11. #11 CanadianOrganic, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
    This thread is 3 years old..
    Way to try and trick me! Ain't falling for that one again!

12. ooo I should look at that.. im so new to forums. sry

13. Lmao no prob man