Africa

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VikingToker, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Be brutally honest with yourselves, how many of you give a flying fuck about the entire continent of Africa?

I half-expected to see a lot of awareness about Africa on this forum, given how many African-Americans are here, but time and again I find that my enthusiasm about the topic is the only enthusiasm. The limits of most people's knowledge on Africa seems to end with 'it was the white colonials fault', and that's it.

ISIS holds part of Syria, and we know much (well, some of us know much) about it. Boko Haram holds parts of Nigeria, and most peope don't even know that much.

Why is it that no one gives a shit about such a giant continent? How can that be changed?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think what you'll find is that most people just feel powerless to do anything about Africa, apart from throwing coins in charity buckets and stuff.

In my view, the only thing that can save Africa is technology. I mean, there's already people walking around with iPhones over there, and stuff, even though they barely have a bucket to poop in.

In a world of post-scarcity, the Africa of 2080 could very well look like the US today.

• Like Like x 3
  3. "the Africa of 2080 could very well look like the US today"
    I guess you forgot what happened to Rhodesia?

Very interesting country as well

• Like Like x 1
  4. You're pro-colonialism, and yet anti-EU? hmm..

• Like Like x 3
  5. Also to suggest Africa will be anything like America is just makes my head hurt. Zimbabwe (After Rhodesia) if it stayed at its current pace it will take until 2722 to be considered a rich country and by the looks of their economy it's still hasn't improved. 2722-2080=642 your waayy off

• Like Like x 1
  6. Now your putting words in mouth again when did I say colonialism was good?

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's always funny how the West tends to have this overall image of Africans living in mudhouses and eating roots and stuff ..

• Like Like x 2
  8. Just because you have fancy looking small buildings doesn't mean your economy is doing good. Also that city is tiny as shit and those buildings look pathetic. That also looks a lot like Rhodesia but with one small building added after almost 40 years
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's what you call a city

• Like Like x 1
  9. This isn't a dick measuring contest. Most major African cities of 2080 will theoretically be better off than most American cities of today, with their shocking income inequality and all. Wealth is relative. We've already wiped out death from starvation in the first world thanks to technological advances in agriculture.

.. That is, assuming we don't wipe the Earth out in a nuclear war.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Africa is not going to be anywhere near like America in 2080 that's just insane to even think and they have so many disadvantages and Nigeria is one of their strongest countries but even still over 50% of Nigerians are unemployed and still have Boko Haram to deal with. They maybe lucky if they can get a city like maybe...Detroit as the capital. Even the Roman Empire 2000 years ago had better cities and civilizations than some of Africa today. I can believe India or China being the world super power but not any of Africa

• Like Like x 3
  11. Unemployment is a constant factor in all economies, and is actually going to rise all across the world as machines replace human labor. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, because it means employees don't have to pay wages .. which means their products become cheaper and easier, faster to produce. Which means that the cost of living goes down .. which means you don't have to work as many hours.

I'm not so sure about Boko Haram and all that, although humans are capable of fighting over anything, really. Even in a world without religion, we would still have massive amounts of terrorism and warfare.

The only thing that can maintain peace, is world trade.. and technological progress tends to facilitate world trade, and vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Africa probably will be like America by 2080 if we (America) keep on heading the way we've been headed...

• Like Like x 1
  13. You better pay your debt or otherwise I'll get the queen to nuke ya's

14. I think about Africa a lot. Most people don't even know about the massive amount of racism against the Boers in South Africa..

• Like Like x 2
  15. #15 TioW42, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    South Africans and Nelson Mandela singing about killing white people. Singing "We hate you to death" with a big smile on their face

Lots of white people are leaving South Africa the white population is even decreasing because most of them are getting threatened to death especially the farmers some even get murdered plus South Africa failing economy. Zimbawae's current president also encourages his own people to kill white farmers as well then begs them to come back lol because the countries doing terrible after they destroyed rhodesia

16. #16 TioW42, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    OMG LOL! This is funny as shit I thought this was action comedy. "Just sit down and enjoy your salary"

17. Your knowledge about Africa is about as strong as your knowledge on Islam.

You're totally right. Poverty in Africa is just a Western illusion.

oh my fucking god :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  18. The only thing that would make Africa look more like America is an American invasion.

People in rich countries don't know shit.

I'd like to remind the thread that I've lived in Africa for years of my life, in two seperate nations in two seperate parts of the country, follow it's news cycles avidly and have personal connections to the continent. I know my shit.

I've had my original suspicions confirmed, no one gives a shit about Africa. No one.

Edit: But they'd sure like to give the impression that they do! I see right through most of you. :)

19. Which one did you live in? I only been to 3 African countries and that's South Africa,Morroco and Egypt

20. 2 years in Nigeria and 1 year in Namibia. Lagos, Port Harcourt, Windhoek and Swakopmund.

People who think that things are all good because there are skyscrapers in some cities are just being cosmically ignorant about the state of an entire continent.

There were mutilated kids begging on every street corner in all of those cities. Things are fine in Africa, why should we bother paying attention, by 2080 they're be fine! Let's pay more attention to gender-fluid struggles in Kansas

• Like Like x 1