Afraid...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by secool, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I have been lifting weights on and off since my freshmen year. I started out at 5'3 and 115 pounds and I could barley lift the bar... which is 45 pounds LAWL. Anyways I lifted in Feb of 05 which was freshmen year and then about mid way through my sophmore year I got a gym membership. I started to lift but I had no idea about nutrition or how to lift, I just lifted to put it simple. Then I quit for quite sometime until my junior year I did some lifting. Now in this time the highest bench press max I had ever gotten was 225 or so. Then Senior rolled around and I got 255 from lifting and then I stopped AGAIN. Now I lift abour 4 times a week at my college with a good friend of mine. I am now 5'7 and I weigh about 160-165 pounds and I bench 240 and squat 315. The problem is I am almost scared that I wont be able to get past 255 for some reason, in my head I keep telling myself I'll naturally never be that strong again... I have no idea why. I know I am decently strong for my size and stronger than most but I can't get over this hump mentally. How the hell can I get past it? Please help. P.S. I am on a good nutrition plan and I do hard work outs, I push myself till failure every workout.

2. Well if you were able to bench more then that in the past you know it's possible and it's all in your head. Just keep reminding yourself that it's all mental, also try to do 8 sets of 3 reps heavy as you can and add 5lb to your bench press every week(2.5lb each side), in 2 months you'll be up to 280lbs. Once you get to a point where you can't add anymore, lift as much as you can for 5 sets of 5 reps, once you can do the full 5 sets of 5 reps without struggling then start adding 5lbs a week again.

3. Have your buddy tack on some 10's when you ask for 5's, you won't know and its all gravy.