Afghanistan now world's top cannabis source: U.N.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Long the world's largest producer of opium, the raw ingredient of heroin, Afghanistan has now become the top supplier of cannabis, with large-scale cultivation in half of its provinces, the United Nations said on Wednesday.

Between 10,000 and 24,000 hectares of cannabis are grown every year in Afghanistan, with major cultivation in 17 out 34 provinces, the U.N. drug agency (UNODC) said in its first report on cannabis production in Afghanistan.

While some countries grow cannabis on more land, Afghanistan's robust crop yields -- 145 kg of resin per hectare compared to around 40 kg per hectare in Morocco -- make it the world's largest producer, estimated at 1,500-3,500 tons a year.

"This report shows that Afghanistan's drug problem is even more complex than just the opium trade," said Antonio Maria Costa, head of UNODC in the report.

"Reducing Afghanistan's cannabis supply should be dealt with more seriously, as part of the national drug control strategy."

For years Afghanistan has been the world's largest producer of opium, a paste extracted from poppies and processed into heroin. While land cultivated with poppies fell by 22 percent last year, record yields meant production fell only 10 percent.

FUNDING INSURGENTS

The illegal opium trade is said to fuel the insurgency in Afghanistan with the Taliban siphoning off millions of dollars from the trade by imposing taxes on farmers and smugglers in return for ensuring safe passage of the drug.

"Like opium, cannabis cultivation, production and trafficking are taxed by those who control the territory, providing an additional source of revenue for insurgents," the report said.
    As with opium, most cannabis cultivation takes place in the south of the country where the insurgency is strongest, UNODC said, with more than two-thirds (67 percent) of cannabis farmers also growing opium.

One of the main reasons cannabis is so widely grown, UNODC said, is because of its low labor costs and high returns. Three times cheaper to cultivate than opium, the net income from a hectare of cannabis is $3,341 compared to $2,005 for opium.

"The entire process is a non-expensive, fast industrial process, which is indeed somewhat worrying," Jean-Luc Lemahieu, head of UNODC in Afghanistan, told reporters in Kabul.
    "We have already enough problems with the opium so we don't want to see the cannabis taking over."

Afghanistan still grows far more opium than cannabis, however, and Lemahieu said it was unlikely to overtake the poppy crop as it required a lot of water to grow -- in short supply in Afghanistan -- and had a very short shelf life.

"You can walk around with opium for 10 to 15 years and, perhaps, like the wine it gets better with the time. For cannabis ... you need to process it really immediately," said Lemahieu.

While cannabis production in 2009 was valued at an estimated $39-94 million, this is only about 10-20 percent of the total farm-gate value of Afghanistan's opium production, because so much more opium is grown.

While some of the cannabis is consumed within Afghanistan, most of the drug is smuggled abroad following the same routes as opium, UNODC said. In 2008, 245,000 kg of cannabis was seized in southern Kandahar near to the border with Pakistan.

"As with opium, the bottom line is to improve security and development in drug-producing regions in order to wean farmers off illicit crops and into sustainable, licit livelihoods, and to deny insurgents another source of illicit income," Costa said.

2. Tax and regulate!

3. :smoke:

4. Really? Wouldn't it be more correct to say "hash source?" What about Vancouver and all it's B/C Bud?

5. Only about 5% of America's marijuana comes from Canada.

You should watch The Union sometime :smoke:

6. I have. Last time I watched it, though, was 3 months ago. Maybe even more.

7. i want to know where they get the figures from.

8. #8 dan k, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    id say about 35% of the regular weed i get comes from canada...
    but im pretty close to canada

but back on topic...
    damn i want some afgoo now =(

9. I'm up in nor cal and can honestly say the only weed i've ever smoked has been Cali grown lol

10. When I was there I looked everywhere for cannabis seeds or even cannabis growing but didnt see anything. Even there it was still too touchy of a subject to even ask the interpreters. It is grown in the very remote regions that are still controlled by the taliban.

I saw a wild poppy once. That was it :(

11. Seems like the only problem with Afghanistan growing it is that it is illegal and must be controlled by criminals, so let's go for the logical route of legalization rather than continue down the "war on drugs" road right?

12. I'm sure we'll hear of marines walking through Afghani fields with flamethrowers soon...

13. Nah, they sent the DEA for that.

any marine i know would be smoking that shit.

14. I am convinced that most of the people in power, in the western world, are complete idiots. I mean, its the only reason shit can be so ass backwards, right??? You KNOW noone over at the U.N. is gonna think "hmm, cannabis production is up in Afghanistan, lets try a different approach". Instead, we are gonna torch the farmers cannabis crop, they will revert to opium 100%, and we will get no where.

Furthermore: $3,341 is what farmers get paid per hecacre?i And 145 kg of resins prduced per hectare? OMFG! Thats a lot of hash for just over 3 grand!
    Think anyone at the U.N. will realize why Europeans and NorthAmericans pay so much for their Afghan hash, when it only costs ~$3000 for 145 kilos!? Or why the Taliban is controlling this crop???

15. haha well I didn't think of that, then DEA agents with Michelle Leonharts smiling face painted on their flamethrowers

16. It's all related to the war. They're just trying to cut off the local areas money supply to keep the funds from being seized up by whatever group they want to say controls that particular region.

If you send in Army and Marines to burn civilian farms they'll cry murder and the UN has to be like "oh shit, bad america!", but if they send in hte DEA to enforce global drug enforcement laws the UN can be like 'yay america!".... simple as that.

or maybe I am full of shit - but who gives a fuck cause we aint smokin that shit anyway!