Afghan Kush x Yumbolt Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by QuakerMike, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Hello All. New to this site, and overall I am getting over a certain amount of nervousness posting anything online, but if we don't start being more open as a group we won't get the ridiculous laws changed in this country. As a brief background on myself I used to be a very successful outdoor grower on a commercial scale. A group of enthusiasts and myself had about 75 guerilla grow sites throughout the mid-atlantic before getting busted about 12 years ago. I personally did not do any time, but many of my friends did and I did not consider growing again until recently. I had never grow indoors before, but ordered some seeds online and just harvested my first freebie seed a northern lights x big bud auto strain. I used two 40 watt grow lights that were purchased at wal-mart, painted the inside of two rubbermaid containers with flat white paint, mounted an exhaust fan at the top and waited to see what happened. I used a standard potting soil mixed with composted cow manure and a dash of dynamite plant food. The auto strain was supposed to veg, flower, and be ready for harvest in 55 days or so. After 120 days I had an 18 inch plant (different from the 6-10 footers I used to grow =)), with about 1/2 oz of buds which is currently hanging upside down, hopefully it will be cured and ready in 2 more weeks or so. So clearly I have a lot to learn.

So I am still using a 50/50 mix of potting soil and composted cow manure, but this time will be using the fox farms nutrient line-up (big bloom, tiger bloom, etc) and have purchased a 90 watt, 6 spectrum, led ufo light which I will suspend from the top of the box so as to avoid the stretching that happened last time. This afghan kush x yumbolt is feminized but not an auto strain, so I am planning on vegging for about 4-6 weeks, or until it uses up the available space in my box, and then switching to 12/12. Currently I have planted directly into the soil (my preferred germ method) and should see her pop in the next 4-5 days at which point I will supply some pictures for everyone so you can critique as you will. I am currently running the 2 40 watt generic grow lights on each end of the box with the led ufo hanging down to within 4-6 inches of the surface of the soil. I am planning to keep lights at 18/6 for veg.

Any suggestions??

2. Lucky lucky lucky

Welcome

LEDs have to be a certain hight away for them to work right I think like 18 in I might be wrong

Are the small tubes they are in a must or could you designate a room or area for this

Sent from iPhone 5

3. Right now my grow box consists of two large deep rubbermaid containers. I've mounted the generic grow tubes on the bottom and they extend almost to the top of the box. There is a passive air intake hole at the bottom and a steel axial exhaust fan mounted in the top. The LED ufo I am going to hang from the top with some string or chain so I can adjust the height, I think a huge part of my first indoor grow taking so long and producing so little was an underestimation of the light requirements and sensitivity. I am also going to install a makeshift c02 generator, and connect it to the box via some tubing. I will post some pictures once the upgrades are complete.

90 watt 6 spectrum led and two 40 watt generic grow tubes (blue/purple in color?) should be enough for one plant right?

4. Yes and then some

Sent from iPhone 5

5. Yeah that's enough for one plant. I'm growing an afgani kush x yumbolt now... In week 8 of flower. I'm super impressed with this strain. Very fast grower, lots of resin.

6. You should do chemdog next bro same thing just heavy trich and big buds man I have 2 going and one I left at a single cola and topped the other so I'm going to see if topping or just letting them go is best but man this main bud is bigger than a pringals can lol

image-1200738078.jpg

Sent from iPhone 5