Afghan Kush Ryder Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thepapasmurf, Feb 8, 2011.

1. hey guys, new to the site but thought i would share my experience as i will be growing a couple of my very first plants [​IMG]

I am open to any sudjestions, positive or not idc, any information is helpful !

I will be growing in a box aproximately 1.5 - 2 square feet and about 3-4 feet tall

Seeds : i ordered 2 afghan kush ryder seeds off of marijuana seeds canada as i am canadian and a lil patriotic [​IMG] they should be arriving either this week or next

Lights : i have 2 40 WATT bulbs, and 2 23 WATT bulbs wired into a parallel circuit to only use one outlet (wired them myself, hope i dont burn anything down :p )

Fertilizer : i am very tight on money right now having spent all of it on prep for this grow but i have some fert for the start of the grow, it has a 10-52-10 mix but because of the lack of money it will be the only fertilizer i will use for this grow

Soil : i will be using a mix of potting soil and peat moss, they will be put into plastic cups for a few weeks then transplanted into larger pots for veg and flowering

Germination : i am gunna need some help with this one, i have these fiber pallets i got from home hardware but i am not sure wheather to use those or to use the good old paper towel method

Ventilation : i will hopefully get a computer fan from my friend as a way to get airflow into the box, i will have a much higher powered fan attached to a homemade carbon filter as a way to get airflow out of the box

please help with the germination and any other tips are more than welcomed !

i will upload pics if anyone would like to follow my grow

2. i just took a look and found some other fertilizers in my shed, theres
    c-i-l 20-20-20 fertilizer
    and miracle grow 15-30-15 fertilizer

should i use these and for which stages ? it doesnt say on the containers

3. Ok man...first welcome to GC:wave:Its way too early to even be thinking about nutriants...Germ your seeds any way you want...but as sson as the crack put them in your prepared soil. By prepared I mean

having good drainage
    does your soil have nuts added, if so what and how much
    have your soil pre-wet, never water a cracked seed, instead put seed in wet humid environment one or two small cfls are plenty for about 2 weeks. Generaly, no nutes untill you get the 3rd of 4th set of leaves...You will have to read the plants to gauge feeding

Most important...do not over water

the 20-20-20- is to stronge and the 15-30-15 sounds more like flower stage nutes.

GL

4. thanks man !
    the potting soil has a mix of :
    nitrogen- .08 %
    phosphate- .24%
    potassium- .08%

so they are very small amounts

if i put the seed in wet soil, how many watts will those 2 cfls be ? the 40s ?
    then when should i turn on the other cfls ?

5. Germinating seed dont need much light. Humidity and warmth is what they like. I germ seeds under a 24w t5 humidome and after a week or so put them under 40w t5. Remember cfl's need to be 2-3 inches from canopy

The nutrients in your soil will be fine for the first few weeks.

6. thanks man ill keep that in mind !

do u know much about this strain or other auto strains? how much yeild u think ill pull of a plant ?

7. I'm growin that AKR now, They're pretty much the general auto but mine is starting to smell really skunky! No problems really, well none from its pheno, I had some wind burn probs.

GL on grow man!

8. sounds sick, outdoor im geussing ? ill prob be growing outdoor in the summer so how did u deal with wind burn ?

9. #9 toy4runr, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
    I like to germinate seeds in peat pellets.

10. thanks alot guys, really looking forward to starting these seeds !

ill start a grow journal in a couple weeks, if you wanna follow keep an eye out

11. hey does anyone know what kind of lighting schedule i should be using for these plants?

i read that i should use 20 on 4 off but how would 24 hour lighting effect them ?

any other sudjestions would be great

12. Yea I usually use 20/4 or 18/6 for autos. The good side to the 24/0 is that it doesnt stretch your plants, but that might not be ideal if you can handle bigger sizes.

13. well i have the room for them to stretch, i have a 4 foot tall box and theres no way there gunna hit the top so i think ill go with the 20/4, do u end up with a larger yeild with 20/4 or 18/6 ?

14. #14 toy4runr, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011

Think again. You have to subtract from that four feet the higth of the pots they are in, and from the top of the box to several inches below the light. What does that leave you? 2' to 2.5'? Also, have you heard of people giving their plants two days of darkness before harvest? Supposedly the plants put on trichs in the dark phase, so put 'em on 20/4 or 18/6 and let 'em rest.

15. im cutting holes in the bottom of the box so the pots sit in the holes and the box is lifted off the ground (if u can imagine how that works) so i would really have 4'

and i have heard of ppl putting their plants in the dark for a few days before harvest but i have heard positive and negative things about it and alot of ppl say it doesnt do anything at all so i think i put it in the dark for just a day before the harvest