Afghan gold seal hash help.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by dillonv, Mar 15, 2013.

1. How do you make it? I've looked up and down this site,the internet,and I've asked old men of the trade trying to learn how they make afghan gold seal, can anyone help me end my quest finally?

2. #2 Im blunter, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
    Gold seal hash isn't a specific form of hash, there's no exact method to making it, it was just a premium brand of hash that was distributed back in the day, they used the gold seal as their signature, much like how it is done nowadays with ecstasy pills.
    Nepalese temple balls were another popular brand of hash that everybody remembers.
    Each of those "brands" was produced by a different hashmaker, possibly in a different country such as Afghanistan, Morocco, Nepal, or even Mexico, so there's no definite answer to your question, unless you go to Afghanistan and talk to the hash maker that produced that specific "brand" of hash, then it's impossible because its likely that most of the hash makers of the old days are dead.

But I read a long while ago in a high times magazine, that the afghans just beat their plants over a large silk screen to collect the trichome heads, simple methods are often overlooked because of their primitive techniques and I think thats partly why bho has become so popular recently.
    I miss the old hash but it just sounds like high quality dry sift that was pressed, seems simple enough.

3. I was using the afghan gold seal as an example because it's the best way to describe what kind of hash i'm aiming for, Just I've tried making BHO, I've tried making bubble hash,rubbing hands together,pressing it with pollen press,hand pressing crystals,lightly heating pressed crystals in the over, but i could never find out how to make that beautiful, chocolate colour, clay consistent ,pine flavored hash.. but I've been trying to find that kind of recipe for hash, not bubble hash, qwiso hash, or rubbing your hands together. None of those methods have gotten me "Hash"of that nature, if that makes sense. I agree the dry sieve makes sense I Just want to know if it's possibly the strain of weed, if it needs to be pressed with or without heat, how much pressure is needed, ect..
    I've gotten some idea's that seem to be simple but i want to be put in the right direction to making that kind of hash..

Thanks for your time.

4. I would be interested in that too someone has I know

5. Look up morrocan hash, they basicly put it in large screen bags, and beat it with a stick a collect the powder. If anyone hasn't already look up strain hunters on YouTube there's a few expeditions they do, one being morrocan hash.

6. This man said exactly what I was going to say. They go into detail about how its made. Go check their website for some awesome growing techniques.

7. I've seen the one Moroccan video but it doesn't achieve that chocolate colour, clay consistent,pine flavoured hash. I've tried the Moroccan way with killer strains (20+%) but it just gets me finger ball hash/bubble hash type of hash. I'm looking for that hash that resembles Afghan hashs. I'm wondering though is it possible that its just the strains I'm dealing with, like afghan hash tastes the way it does and binds the way it does because of the strain or because of the process? and if it's just the process or both that's what I'm looking for.. I've been informed you just need a good strain but that's all I've used..

8. #8 Im blunter, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    They used purebred sativa strains that were native to their country, I think they also used opium to help make the bricks of hash stick together. I could be wrong but I know that the Thai sticks were soaked in an opium solution, so maybe they added opium to hash just for marketing purposes, so people continue to buy, it makes sense.... Have you ever smoked opium?
    It tastes like pine..
    the flavor and high your describing just sounds like good opium.

9. hey bro im not sure if they used opioum to make there hashs stick to gether but who knows,, remeber afghan is a super hot country so what they prolly did same as they did in india they jus walked by the plants and jus rubbed the solid nugs inbetween there hand so after 30 40 plants they would scrape off what they got we call it finger hash but they do same thing n then keep doin it n boom press it n its good. but to do it that way wwill b super potent n im not sure if they would even give out the best of the best for outside shippment.. the dry stick method is used by the morrocans n there blond hash bro

10. Think the OP is talking about afghan squidgy black like in the shot attached , tbh I have no idea how it's made :eek: if you work it out be sure to PM' me ;)

Attached Files:

11. Step 1) get a really heavy indica (might I suggest Afghani? I mean... Seems a little obvious to me, but who knows. You say piney, so maybe something else. Either way)

Step 2) dry sift to collect all the keif/trichomes

Step 3) press it. Clandestine hash makers use a car-jack press, you can either make one yourself, or buy one (jack-puck is a brand if memory serves right.) The car jack style press has MUCH more psi than a pollen press or your hands are capable of, which kind of bursts the glands together for a much more solid brick. Heating is also very desirable to aid in this.

As far as color goes, genetics do play a significant role in that, but so does the heat/press method.

A lot of the aroma/taste and color also has to do with the surroundings, as they aren't near as sterile/clean in their processing and drying/curing techniques as westerners are- allowing dust to kind of settle and fly in, leaving the bud out to dry in the sunlight, leaving it in hot rooms for months, etc.

12. Also, afghan hash does not have opium added to it, as most of the opium is marketed for conversion to morphine and heroin, or sold as is for black market consumption. Thai sticks did, but those days are (sadly) long gone, unless you make your own. All you need is a good sativa, chloroform or ether, and opium.

13. #13 Deleted member 813660, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Black afghan was made with a speicific strain (land race from afghanistan):
    Mazar-i-Sharif

Unlike many of the morocan and lebanese hashed the crystals arent filtered out, with a mesh, and compresed (Dry sift). The afghan hashes (top quality ones) along with Indian, Nepalese and Jamaican hashes, are reffered to as "charras". The process involves colecting the resin from the plants, by rubbing the buds and plant between the hands (for quite some time....few hours). The result is a dark paste on hands that consists of ressin, plant material, maybe some sand/dirt, and whatever natural stuff was on the plant. The collected hash is scraped op the hands with a heated knife and rolled into balls ("Temple balls, Parvati valley hash from Himalayas"), or put into slabs or sticks. Hope this helps

PS There is a rumor of some of the afghan hashes containing opium, but I dont know about that

14. Mazar I Sharif is not hand rubbed like charas, it is pressed. 

Attached Files:

15. #15 Deleted member 813660, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Depedends on what your getting. There are some versions pressed which are less nice then the "cream" version, which is like charras. Also you can normally see this from the texture. Presed hash is normally very brittle and hard, whereas hand rubbed hash is more oily and soft

16. But your right, I think gold seal is pressed. But not necessarily the best stuff.

17. I'm making myself a nice big hash box for this very reason. Every joint I roll, vape bowl I pack, extraction tube I pack, I can throw it on the screen. Not some grinder or little cigar box size, but a full 10"x10" where I can gently collect hash whenever I would mess with my herb anyway. The ones they sell are hella expensive, not all that big and just not my bag overall. I'd just as soon make it; maybe not as pretty (though with a little practice I'll probably work on that) but just as effective.

18. #18 dekabos, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    As for textural differences, some of it has to do with the origin of their genetics - certain types have bigger or smaller resin glands, different chemical profiles making them behave differently. Also the technique used to press, if it's pressed - plenty of import hash is adulterated, dried out trash, but good hash can be made brittle by over pressing. Too much or not enough heat can make a big difference as well. Too much heat gives you a dried up brick, not enough and it can come out chalky, chunky, overall inconsistent. 

19. #19 ProGMOII, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    A good grinder has a kief screen just like the old ways.

Perfect for someone who has the patience to gather a gram over a four week period.