Aeroponics?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by dano91, May 1, 2009.

1. So i need some questions answered. I am currently looking in investing in a aeroponic unit. My next questions are what i have been wondering about.
    1) What is the desired or normal suggested ppm of ferts per plant?
    2) In an aeroponic system does the water spray constantly?
    3)Does anyone have any lighting suggestions? I am currently looking into a possible led/cfl setup. to start just so my energy bill wasnt so noticable as i would be living alone and would look suspicious.
    4) Does anyone know how long you can run a 400w hps on a car battery?
    5) I am currently reasearching photovatic ideas to power a light during daylight hours and then a second one to recharge the battery at at the same time so i can be ran during night hours. hopefully im not alone this was a strech but if its done right i think it could pratically run a compelete system for nothing. but starting cost would be monsterous!
    6) anyone have good results in a grow tent?
    7)I have done some reasearch into a device called a micro fogger. Does this device really make a noticeable yeild?
    8) Does anyone have some kind of Regimen they can talk about? Like fertelizers when to start and when to switch like. If someone could be so percise and say on a weekly bases what they do and what they feed, and things to look for? Like kinda a plan to grow and how it should go if ran properly. The more detail the more help. I am trying to get everything up an running by the end of 09. I am not skipping any steps to make a smooth start in this hobby/adventure ;)? help a newb out. please i have only been on this site for about 3 weeks maybe. but i read all i can every night for atleast 2-3+ hours a night, and have probably put in more than 35 hours total during that time reading. trying to figure as much as i can as fast as possible. sorry i now my grammer and spelling isnt so hot so my appoligies!
    Aloha!
    D

2. Bump.... any help guys? Whats the trinity for hydro i heard the term?

3. 1) Depends on your setup. Please explain more thoroughly.
    2) Yes.
    3) I would definitely suggest using CFL lights. The LED systems are still "experimental", use around 150-200W for every square meter to start with and you build up after each grow.
    4) Don't even think about it. You can't. ;)
    7) Can't talk about yields, but it surely helps the plants absorb more nutrients. Still, you don't need it to start.

I really think its a great idea to begin with an aeroponic system, you can't overwater and there's no root rot. Of course a DIY solution would be ideal, you don't need the expensive commercial systems, you can achieve amazing results from a simple DIY system in a rubbermaid container.

4. Well i was planning on having 8 plants in a large rubbermaid box looking which is a 45 gal. so a very large reservar. then i was willing to buy the best to hope for the best looking at a keeping the res. half full and a 264 gph submersible pump. then doing the whole pvc setup with 360 misters. a 3 6inch micro air stones 1 none micro reg stone. im not to sure with the lamp though. im looking at keeping them in a 4footx4foot by 7ft tall tent. with a few fans to do some work. all looking to to advanced nutrients for ferts. not too sure but they seem to have the best costumer service and product knowlege/reviews/price combo.

But still looking for a regimen.

5. About ferts... I use the dutch biobizz ferts and the chart they come with (funny, this chart is MADE for weed!), has worked perfectly for me all this time. Find a good brand and stick to their chart, or just use half strength for rooting and seedlings combined with a rooting solution, then full strength for bigger plants.

6. Do you just rest the plants inside the baskets and let the roots run wild, or do you put the plants in rockwool or a similar medium to start? I'm curious because I just assembled a system similar to the one Dano is talking about but I put all the clones in Rockwool.

7. start in rockwool then add a medium after roots show out the bottom

8. Depends. I have made many different types of hydro systems over time.

• If I put the clones to root in rockwool then I either put them in hydroton in my ebb and flow pipes, or one of the rubbermaids I use (aero or drip).
    • If i use my aerocloner (which is what I usually do) i just put the roots in hydroton and then they grow out of the netpots.
    • If i want to put them in the drip system with the channels and the rockwool slabs, i transplant the rockwool clones in the big rockwool cubes.

9. I plan on doing a very similar setup to your, but i'm building the aeroponics system, getting a tent(similar size), and 400w hps....but i'm doing this in september because i am home until college starts....but i'd like to keep up with what you're doing and like to know your progress, so it'd be awesome if you could start a grow log or something....also i did some research into misting/fogging and i found a cheap way to do this would be to use a ultrasonic nebulizer($30-60 on ebay), and if you want to make the aeroponic system yourself, i have some pretty decent links to guides.

10. sounds good ill pm you when i have started it. here is some links i have its a really good guide.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/243103-diy-aero-veg-tub.html

11. thanks for the link man, just what i want to do....its torture having to wait to do this