Aeroponics setup advise

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by Wmoon518, Nov 18, 2017.

1. I was thinking that I will probably go with a 12v relay in the end. Saw some decent ones on amazon and Ebay. This way I can run a pump and the timer from the same PSU.

Do you have any pictures of the solenoids to the misters? How do you have those setup?

2. You don't need a timer to control the pump you need a timer to control the solenoids

3. No, I understand that, but I can run the timer on one 12v cable (or rail - depending on the amps needed) and the 12v pump off of another and just plug the computer PSU into a 120vac outlet. Could also use the same PSU to run a 12v fan and only use one AC plug for all three.

4. Your right the timer controls the solenoids.

I also use a 12v solid state relay as well. image.jpg The mister can also screw right into the solenoid if you use a tote. The cooler was to thick for this so I used a brass 1/4" nipple and coupling. Brass shouldn't be used tho stainless or plastic is better.

5. Is there any specification for the solenoid that you recommend? Also with the pump, is there a pressure rating that you recommend?

I think, just because of room, I am going to recirculate (run the pump in from the drain of the cooler (liked the way you did it) and get a reservoir later

6. If the bottom of your cooler is fold with water it will become a dwc system. The root chamber needs to be empty. To accomplish this in the cooler I had to patch the existing hook and move the drain lower. I keep my Rez outside the tent. And if you wanted to you could do the same and pipe out the drain out the tent right back into it.

7. As for the pressure rating 115-150 psi is good.

Solenoid:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...noid+valve&dpPl=1&dpID=51PFfyNfvCL&ref=plSrch

Pump:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=12v+diaphragm+pump

These are the cheapest stuff but work just fine. Both 12v.

8. They have plastic ones that will screw right into your tefen misters

9. Gottcha

10. With the self container aeroponic systems I have seen there is only enough water in the tub/bucket to cover the pump (which sits at the bottom). This feeds to sprayers that are elevated at about the bottom of the cups. Eventually the roots will grow into the reservoir, at the bottom, but 90 percent of the roots would still be aerated.

The shower I use is a small 3x3 (practically) in an old bathroom that is not much larger than that. The reason it is (and I not being used for it's intended purpose is that when it was renovated (and I use that term loosely) it was done by someone who had no clue as to what they were doing and just built up the pan instead of tearing off the tile, re-floating to level and re-tiling. This left a thick section between the actual drain and the surface of the tile where water can seep and rot. As long as it is being used for a "dry" application it is okay. I would try to run water into it to test the drain, but I don't want water to sit there if it won't. The same reason I can't just run a hose down the drain for DTW. Besides, I am hoping to use the run-off for the garden or landscaping, as we are still in a drought condition (waste not, want not).

11. I think I actually looked at these before. Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW - When I said "how you did it" as to the cooler, I just meant the cooler over a tote. Much sturdier.

12. I will probably do three sprayers like he has with the cooler set up. Just for info, which is the "8800" pump?

13. Yea well I have 3 50 gallon drums and in each drum I have 4 plants with 4 misters in each barrel

Attached Files:

14. That sounds like one hell of a setup!

15. haha

16. You were talking about you pump being submerged. These pumps are not submersible. They are inline pumps. (Shouldn't get wet).

17. Yes I know i have my res which is a 120qt cooler and I have a chiller the pump sits outside of my res. With a pressure switch, a regulator and then 12 solenoids. Each mister has its own solenoid. I have a building with very tall ceilings so that is why I use the 55 gallon drums and it allows more room for roots and less chance of roots sitting around in any nute solution

18. Yes, I know that this kind of pump is not a submersible pump, but for the time being it could serve the same purpose. Instead of a sub pump, the inline takes the fluid from the tote/cooler and sprays it. Again, once space is available, it can be easily switched to a reservoir.

19. I think he was referring to me about using the inline pump to remove fluid from the bottom of the cooler, instead of a sub pump.

You answered my question I was going to ask. Even two drums has got to take up a hell of a lot of space. Though, I do have to ask, you start with a 180qt cooler as your reservoir, but after spraying, what do you do with the accumulated fluid in the drums? I suppose that with their size, you could probably leave it there until harvest