Aeroponic?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by coldy13, Oct 31, 2006.

1. I've grown indoor before with soil, but I want to set up a nice aeroponic system for next time. The plan is to use 3 rubbermaid tubs with 4 plants each. I need some help with setting up the system, what size net pots should I use? should I use a pump for each container, or can I use 1 pump and run lines to the other containers? what nutes do I need and where can I get 'em cheapest? I've got plenty of room to grow and a 1000w hortilux hps.

2. Id set up bubblers as there a lot easier to maintain from all I've heard, you got to be supper careful or the jets get plugged. I'd think for control purposes that multiple pumps would be smarter, and if you plant multiple strains a must. Hey save some bucks and go to dollar general, pick up the 18 gal variety for $4-$5. I'd go with the 6" net pots, I used 3.75 this time the pots appear to be destroyed, literally torn apart. I used 6" pots before and I've been able to reuse them, they also give better support.

As for nutes, I like a quote I read, "if you go cheap expect to get cheap" and "if its worth doing then its worth doing it right". Don't go cheap you'll clog up your jets. Of course if you do a bubbler then that won't be such a problem.

3. Word of advice from my personal experience: if you are going to go with aeroponics, buy yourself a premade system from a reliable company. You will have SOOOOO much trouble with clogged misters, leaks in your water lines, spills, etc. It will take a while to make and it will be a LOT of work. Besides, after everything you'll have to buy, you will find out that it costs about the same as a premade one.

4. Since there's no way I'm buying a pre-made system, I think I'll do an ebb n flow or NFT instead. Seems really simple, easy to change the water. How big of a pump would I need for 12 plants, I've got a few spare fuel pumps and a 12v power supply.

5. for ease and results i'd go for a couple large nft trays.. one small pump in each...
    just my opinion... but have seen ebb and flow in action a friend uses them.. and i prefer my nft... just a personal preference tho..

[​IMG]