aeroponic tote

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by loudog2008, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I am in the middle of building one of these aeroponic 6 plant totes. I have a few questions I need to get cleared up before i finish it up.

-the mister tips that i got for it are shit, which type should i use and where would i find them??(not sure if there is an irigation store in my town, will hydro shop have more??)

-I aM a little confused as to how the system works, do i set my times to constantly spray the plants or do i want it to mist them a few times a day for a little bit

- I need a good ec/ppm/ph meter, what do you reccomend

- what is a cheap way of getting filtered water if i make a res. for the system?

-should i use rockwool with the hydroton filled baskets?

- what happens if the roots get too long and dip into the bottom water.??

any info or help would be great, preferrably someone who has used this system before..I am also thinking of using of using the lucas formula so any thoughts on that would be good.thanks

2. somebody help me out please woul be hugely appreciated

3. What design are you using?

4. #4 abnormldood, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    I am in the middle of building one of these aeroponic 6 plant totes. I have a few questions I need to get cleared up before i finish it up.

-the mister tips that i got for it are shit, which type should i use and where would i find them??(not sure if there is an irigation store in my town, will hydro shop have more??)

You can find them at about any gardening store. Just ask whoever is there what the quality nozzles are.

-I aM a little confused as to how the system works, do i set my times to constantly spray the plants or do i want it to mist them a few times a day for a little bit

Set the timer for 15 minutes on/15 minutes off

- I need a good ec/ppm/ph meter, what do you reccomend

Anything digital will work

- what is a cheap way of getting filtered water if i make a res. for the system?

Get a second air pump(anything cheap with two outlets) and two 1 inch airstones, set it up in a bucket, fill it about 3/4 high, and keep the bucket aerated for about a half hour to get the chlorine out. Remember to PH test it before adding it to the res.

-should i use rockwool with the hydroton filled baskets?

If you mean to place rooted clones, that works just fine. Place a layer of hydroton on the bottom of the basket, place the rockwool with the clone in it, then lightly cover it so it stands on it's own

- what happens if the roots get too long and dip into the bottom water.??

As long as the recieve oxygen they will be fine

any info or help would be great, preferrably someone who has used this system before..I am also thinking of using of using the lucas formula so any thoughts on that would be good.thanks

5. #5 diablo_cannabis, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    i am using 360* ez clone sprayers, they are fairly cheap about $.65 each and can be found online. i have tried endlessly to find them at home depot, no dice so i got mine from altgarden.com. they ship discreetly too.

[​IMG]

the best time schedule is 1 minute on 5 minutes off, 24/7. you will need a cycle timer for this best prices around are on ebay. about $70 to $80

[​IMG]

also another item that can be had from ebay cheaper than anywhere else. do a search for a "7 in 1 meter" expect about $80 to $100

there are several ways you can buy DI water or RO water for about $1.50 per gallon. being that you are only gonna have 6 pots or so this might be a cheaper way cause your res water should last about 2 weeks as long as you keep light from entering the res.

you can get away with not using any media at all with an aero set up. find some neoprene collars that will fit your net pots. but if you already have the media its perfectly fine to use the rockwool with the hydroton filled pots.

[​IMG]

if you get two of those tubs and stack them, the lower one can be the res and the upper one will have a drain and the sprayer setup. Just cut a hole in the base of the upper tub and in the lid of the res (the lower one). Make it so the holes line up. You can get a sink drain like this one to connect the upper tub and the lid of the res for the drain. place a brass or plastic (non-corrosive) sreen over the hole so the roots do not drop into the res below.

[​IMG]

hope this helps bro. good luck.

6. Thanks guys your feedback has helped and I have found some new misters and they seem to work good but i am just having trouble getting a consistent mist out of them, I made sure i got no silicone in the ends, but the seals just arent holding and theyre leaking, i let it sit for 24 hours, they are those stupid barbed type ones so once theyre in there they dont come out and when theyre past the barb theyre loose in there. Im getting frustrated with this whole setup as it seems like everyone elses sprayed well right away...