Aeroponic model 4Z0 Stoner Experiment #1745183

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by trojangrower, May 26, 2019.

1. Wow, good stuff @trojangrower ! I'm sold, just position the drain to the side perhaps? Looks like I'll be copying you shortly, haha, I was going to do both top feed and aero but now I may just turn the top feed into the spray nozzle supply line and nix the trickle top feed. Those results are crazy!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Maybe theres a way to change drain holes or positions automatically so the roots don't get used to flowing one way? Lol probably not

3. oh yes they are, but I would change the net. I think if I just started with this unit (instead of a cloner) from the start, it would be easier. The drain may not be a problem with the copper, but idk yet. I don't want to check daily, I will report instead in a weeks time.
    I think the drain being in the side may help prevent, but not completely. I've seen this on side drains too. Its the 'only' problem so far, although a quicker method to remove the sprayer lines would be cool, to clean them in case, but you see how the roots don't even go close to the sprayers, so at least this is solved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Or maybe if the drain was on the side you could just rotate the net pots a little bit each week or whatever to roll the roots into a ball like noodles on a fork, so the tips weren't so long and trying to go down the drain?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'll test the copper first; if it work cool, if not, then I will use a side drainer (already have some).
    Show me your plants! lol
    I'm like killing everything else lately. Had something eating my plants, sprayed it with neem, but I added too much soap _#%()&*@^#_+%&!!!
    don't do that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Like the net pot would have a root frame coming down from it like a fork in a plate of noodles and you could just trwirl the roots about the root frame, shit, you could even pump water through the root frame so you were hitting roots from outside and also inside

EDIT:
    Lol the root frame might as well be already invented as your aero apparatus haha pretty much same thing I guess

• Like Like x 2
  7. No plants atm, waiting on my pump adapters, soon though maybe if they come today I can start piecing together

EDIT:
    I can veg the shit outta some MJ, but still working on consistency in flower. They some fickle bitches haha

• Like Like x 1
  8. If the copper scrubber isnt successful there is an alternative that will solve the problem but it will involve modding the system.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I put myself in a corner, not having supplemental nutrients.

Here’s what I’ve been doing -

Scrape 2” or so from top soil in the pots, add fresh soil, water, with very little run off.

I’m hoping this supplies enough nutrients to keep the plants going until harvest.

This is the first time I’ve had leaves turn yellow. I know I have to be starving them for some nutrients, but they keep going, so I’m okay with finishing this run as is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why not put an entire screen over the top of your drain? Like the size of the bucket, that would allow no roots at all form around your drain and plenty of water flow in the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. what screen is that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. remember I already have used a filter... this is a screen, but it doesn't work. That is why I am trying the copper, because I think the roots don't like that stuff and keep away.

I've given it some thought today, and using a raised drain with a (similar to) roofing cap I think would work.
    kinda like
    upload_2019-6-12_4-7-14.png
    but the root mass on the bottom could get to big... so idk.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Take it a few steps further ;)
    cut sections out of the bottom of the bucket, (like a mag or spoked wheel) or use a holesaw to cut out some fairly big circles. Place a disc of black polypropylene weed barrier over the cut outs inside the base of the bucket. Hot glue short, 2"-3" sections of pvc tube to the bottom of the bucket to act as legs or standoffs. Fit the drain into a seperate container, a large diameter plant pot saucer should work for a 5 gal bucket.. Stand the bucket with its short legs on the saucer. Aim for at least a 1" air gap between the base of the bucket and the top lip of the drain container.
    Water will drain freely from the bucket through the polyprop weed barrier and drop into the drain container. Any roots that try to grow through the barrier will encounter an invisible dry air barrier and be air pruned. They`ll never reach the drain. The air below the barrier must be dry, not humid, to work. You cant suspend the barrier inside the bucket above the drain fitting because the air below it will be humid. .

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've tried the biodegradable weed barriers before a few times and the roots get through (although I didn't place an air gap) The air gap... its all air in the bucket. When the sprayers run, the water drains, so there is water dripping 15on/15off, so I don't think they care about the air gap.
    I have not tried the polypropylene weed barriers... This could help.
    I don't see the benefit of drilling the holes at the bottom of the bucket. Just laying the barrier/screen above this should work.

But now u did give me another idea...

Just hope that the copper works!

• Like Like x 1
  15. If you have a normal plant pot an inch off the ground the roots wont venture out the bottom very far before they are air pruned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I got a bubble bag sitting around here... I could try that out pretty easily, thanks for the idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  17. yo @Henchman21 thx for keeping my listening tracks fresh; better than this old 8-track :D

hey, u think the 320uM bag would work>?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. 75um, 200 mesh would be better Roots can push through the smallest of gaps and expand again once they are through.

• Like Like x 1