Aerogarden Green-o-matic Grow Journal (1st try)

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by bobo77, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hey guys!
    Just started my 1st grow...I read up on all of the aerogrow advice on grasscity for about a month and finally broke down and bought the damn thing. My setup is:

AeroGrow VeggiePro
    2 additional 26W CFLs on the sides (I have both 6500K for vegging and 2700K for flowering)
    Technaflora nutes
    20/4 light cycle

I bought the Greenhouse Green-O-Matic seeds from Attitude...I've since heard that maybe it isn't exactly the best strain, but oh well it's only my first grow. Here's a pic from today, which is Day 18 since germ. It is still pretty small, I think because it took a while for the tap root to reach the water, but it has been picking up in the last few days. Its also really short, but I have heard that is normal for autoflowering strains. What do you guys think? The new growth looks a little lighter green than the rest. Is that normal? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hey whats going on guy? Your post caught my attention because i have an aerogarden also...ive only used it for seeding and now for cloning...so sorry I am not much help because they are always moved...but will be very interested in your results...i suppose you are monitoring your pH?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. I've seen really low crops from these setups, about half an ounce from a month or so of growing. Though they have a 3 shelf system & investing in a few more would be neat.

oh & I was wondering if taping mylar around three sides or just the front/back of the hood would help. Also curious if tying down & vegging longer would help bring a higher yield. :smoke:

4. Thanks for taking a look! I only have the pH strips right now...which only tell me that the pH is less than 6. I know I need to get a pH meter, but I just haven't gotten one yet. And I'm sure the yield won't be very high, but I take it all with a grain of salt as it is my first grow and really just a new hobby I'm trying to get into :)

5. If you end up moving up in the growing world I think the aerogarden makes a GREAT cloner and sprouting those seeds.

But I have some pretty decent grows from aerogardens. Decent due to the fact that its so low maintanace and your really limited with how creative you can get. I have seen people tape down some mylar at the base of the grow.

What medium did you use for your plant? Almost looks like soil.

My aerogarden turned cloner :D

[​IMG]

6. No...its just the regular AeroGarden sponge shit (my camera makes it look pretty dark). And I would like to try the current setup for the entire grow if possible...its my first time and I just want to see that I can do it all the way through.

p.s. that's what she said

7. somethings a little off for 18 days old...i think it should be a little bigger...but if you think the roots were not getting exposed and are now, then it might just take off

8. Here's 1 day later....I think she's starting to come along nicer now! Sorry for the overall yellowishness of the pic compared to yesterday (its my camera, I think). Does the fact that the new leaves are a light green rather than a dark green means anything is wrong? Thanks team :gc_rocks:

Attached Files:

9. Bobo - It wouldn't hurt to pop on one of the humidity domes that came with your aerogarden. At least until it out grows it.

10. That's a good idea, waverider...the big leaf was getting kind of dry anyways, so maybe the whole thing is just a little dry or something.

11. Here's the girl now at 21 days....I KNOW she is small, but she obviously is starting to grow better now. Is there any way I can get her to grow a bit taller? She seems to want to be a bush rather than a flower.

I also included a pic of my setup for those who might care....

So, any advice?

Attached Files:

12. whens the last time you fed her? and what are you feeding it? what are your temps like? whats your pH at? reduce the light cycle to 18/6 or 16/8 as i prefer....let her rest up a bit...

13. First if she is healthy and staying low and bushy in an aerogarden then I would say keep it there. Remember height is not your friend. A week of steady growth you'll be asking how to top her. But as asked above I see you have an airhose going into the a/g giving some good oxygen and such; but are you measuring the pH? Non chlorinated water for changes?

But I think it does look good... keep it bushy. Those damn aerogardens make some long tall dopey looking plants. Makes a great cloner though.

14. I have used the aerogarden in the past for grows and it works fine for personal stuff. I think the biggest yield I have ever gotten was 2 3/4 oz dry weight. That was with the purchase of extra lighting and organic nutes for the veg and flowering phases. Anyway back to your growing situation. Are you sure you are 18 days from germ because if that is an autoflower it should be significantly larger by day 18. I recommend overfilling past the line marked in your aerogarden so that the media is more submerged in the H2O. Second no nutes and distilled water for now. Get a pH kit very cheap at Walmart, gardening store or even a pool shop. The pH should be 6.5 or around that. Last but not least light cycle is important with auto's or any strain. please do not go 24/7 lights, the plant needs a dark cycle so the plant can rebuild and strengthen roots and leave structure. Huge misconception out there that flowers like like 24/7 not the casey the need a break just like a garden outside. good luck

15. Thanks for all the advice guys! So, I just fed her today for the 2nd time (Technaflora Vegetative recipe) and I've been using distilled water only. I really really need to get a pH monitor....I have some strips but I don't think those go low enough to be useful. And I have been using a strict 20/4 light cycle b/c I read that is a good combo for autoflowers.

Basically, I'm pretty convinced that she was just in shock after her tap root was manipulated/broken during the first week. I like to think she will take longer than expected, but will end up being just fine in the end. But I guess I can't say that is true for sure until I see how she does from here. So please pass along your good karma!

16. She's aliiiiiiiive!!! Seriously, she is finally picking it up now (just look at her 6 days ago). Should I position the lights differently so that the new growth at the bottom of the plant has better light? And when should I switch to my 2700K bulbs?

Attached Files:

17. Boba - (Intentionality misspelled Cause Boba Fett is the man! :) )

Looks good man. I was thinking of my Aerogarden cloner and wondering how to make it more light friendly. If possible I would pick up an emergency blanket from walmart (in camping section like $1.49) and cut it as a base to your grow (to reflect light up into the leaves) and then I would attach the remainder to cardboard and make a DIY grow-tent using the blanket as a reflective wall around the aerogarden. Might help get the best efficiency from your CFLs.

Keep it up!!

Snoogins!

18. Ha! That's funny because I meant to make my name boba, but fucked it up due to fatfingeritis. And I was thinking about adding some mylar, but I want to be sure she doesn't get too hot in this setup from that.

19. Sorry for the frequent updates....but just wanted to show everyone how quickly my girl seems to be growing now! But seriously: has anyone ever seen a plant like this where it is pretty much just growing like a bush and doesn't seem to be growing vertically at all??? Is there something I should do about this or is it ok?

Attached Files:

20. wow what a big difference since last time i came through...minimal internode spacing is what you want...she is turning out to be a beauty! in your setup you want to keep her as short as possible...:hello: