Advice settin up 1000 w HPS light

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by RastamonChant, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Rastamon here and I need some tips and advice.. Ive never used such a powerful light before, and i'd like to know how to keep my grow room at a cool temp, and some safety tips about HPS fixtures would be greatly appreciated

2. Get a fan that can move at least 250+cfm. Also, cool tube if you can. It will help a lot.

3. Fresh air intake and inline fan for exhaust.

4. [quote name='"MiMedical420"']Fresh air intake and inline fan for exhaust.[/quote]

What should be used for the intake?

5. A hole. It's called a passive intake. The draw from the fan that cools the light will suck the air into the room thru the hole

6. [quote name='"PlantEngineer"']A hole. It's called a passive intake. The draw from the fan that cools the light will suck the air into the room thru the hole[/quote]

Yea I have that but it's kinda an indoor outdoor setup like its in a barn... So I could only get it to the temp it is outside with out getting a portable ac unit?

7. I use a booster fan for intake and will be upgrading to a 4 in inline during hot summer!! I also only run lights at night which helps a lot!! If it gets to hot I also have an air conditioner!

8. What kind of ac unit? Which ones are the best for a plant friendly environment?

9. This is sort of correct. Even if you vent you light you get some heat from radiation.

10. You buy the appropriate a/c unit for the size space, they are rated by both btu and space covered, printed on the box somewhere "9,000 btu-Covers 500 sq ft" something like that.

I have a 32 x 12 flowering room and use a 2 ton mini split, 24,000 btu. That covers 8, vented 1000's in a basement and there is another portable a/c (14,000 btu)to add in for those super hot summer days.

11. Plant engineer sounds like he has a medicropper garden over there !! 8k with dual mini splits!! Damn !!

Mini split are the best but there like 500 a piece at least!! I'm still novice so I can't afford one of those yet!! Just have a small window a/c just in case but I'm running less than 2k!

12. Yea but I heard a window unit is terrible for your room so I'm looking into the portable ones i don't know for sure would like some input