advice on what lights i should get

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Skunky Monkey, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Ok i have a outdoor grow and im going to start a indoor grow aswell, i was wandering what lights i should buy for a closet grow to grow
    2 plants and what, watt will it need to be. Im hoping something from 150 to 200 maby even a 100 with this work

2. How big is the closet and does it have any way to vent hot air and get cool air in?

3. no not realy i cant cut a hole in it because im renting , i can get a fan in there though.
    should i get a 200 watt cfl and is so why ??

4. #4 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I use CFLs in my closet grow because they are lower temps and my closet has no venting so I leave the door cracked during light hours. I close the door in the morning when I wake up and open it when I get home. I have it timed so I get home about half an hour they click on

5. they sound good do you reckomend a 150 watt cfl of a 200 watt cfl whats the lowest watt i can do

6. #6 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Are you going off actual or equivalent wattage?

7. im not sure im very new to indoor whats actual and equevelent

8. #8 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Look on the packaging. It will say a number of Watts and should say actual or watt used and then also say Watt equivalent. The actual is always much lower then the equivalent and its the actual you want to go off of.

9. ok then , but will a 150 eqivelent watt work or should i get a 200 watt sorry im realy new to indoor lighting and stuff im a outdoor grower

10. #10 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    You want at least 100 actual Watts for one plant. Don't even pay attention to equivalent Watts. Actual only. You want the actual Watts of your bulbs to add to be more then 100watts

11. ok great so would 150 actual watt work for 2 plants ??

12. #12 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Yeah. 100watts for first plant and 50watts for each additional plant

13. ok great thanks + rep

14. #14 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Anything else you have questions on?

15. Well actualy i was thinking of just getting a ballaster and a light and stuff , because it's a small grow im not realy expecting to get to much bud , and alot of indoor grows are realy high tec with loads of stuff and heaters / humidiafiors. Because it's just a small grow do i realy need all of that, this is my ideal list of things i need to purchase lights and stuff fertalizer, pots, soil im trying to do it kinda low budget so probs no ph testing kits, ventalation, that kinda stuff . whadaya think ?? :smoke:

16. Check out my grows in my signature. I'm on a very low budget as well so mine is low tech

17. nice i love the kryptonite nice buds how much would a 150 watt cfl cost electrcity whise ??

18. #18 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    You know what.... my utilities are included in my rent so I have no idea. Sorry

19. ok then , so how do i not let the plants get ridicolsly tall i have a 7 foot sativa outdoor and im just hoping my indoor ones wont outgrow the closet any ways to control the hight

20. #20 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    You can train the branches and veg for a month and then flower. Can keep it around a couple feet tall