Advice on used bike from experienced riders

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by epiic, Dec 2, 2011.

1. So I've been riding for a good 9 years now. I have always bought new except for one instance I bought a used 929rr from my cousin for $4k. Bike was mint with 600 miles on it. I am looking at a used 2007 Honda 1000rr to purchase now where I live with 4800 miles on it. The bike has been dropped on both sides. The seller is asking $8k. Fair price, should I ask for lower, or skip it altogether?

I rode the bike, frame and forks are completely straight. What do you guys think?

image-1888236586.png

image-854990946.png

image-2256192585.png

image-1091063301.png

image-1055957521.png

image-3319216472.png

image-3828357696.png

2. Hell no, if it's been dropped on both sides you should get a way better deal

3. [quote name='"midnittoke"']Hell no, if it's been dropped on both sides you should get a way better deal[/quote]

Yeah I thought so myself. But what would be a fair deal is what I am asking? He originally wanted $10k and dropped it down to $8k.

As a note, I live in a third world country in South America. Japanese bikes here are expensive!!!!!! A MINT Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki 1000cc with 8,000-15,000 miles go for $12k-$18k here.

4. Looking at a mint 2008 repsol Honda here n my town. 3200 miles. And its 8 grand. From a dealer. Not worth it if its been over even on one side.

5. [quote name='"blackzinger"']Looking at a mint 2008 repsol Honda here n my town. 3200 miles. And its 8 grand. From a dealer. Not worth it if its been over even on one side.[/quote]

Unfortunately dealers are non existent here! I am very jealous of you!!! I am still interested in the bike even though it's been down on both sides. Just for the matter of the fact that the next Honda 1000rr available is a 2004 with 13,7xx miles on it. It's mint with a price tag of $16,500.

This bike is straight chassis wise and mechanically sound. Just want opinions on what a fair price would be. Like I said in my OP, I have always bought new with one exception and I have no idea on how to price out a downed bike.

6. #6 blackzinger, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    it looks like there's a big scratch on the tank. To do that it musta been a pretty decent fall. Id run away from a bike u don't want. opp, (other people's problems)

I know you want it I thought every single 1 of my motorcycles on impulse but the first 1 I bought had been layed down and I regretted it

7. [quote name='"blackzinger"']it looks like there's a big scratch on the tank. To do that it musta been a pretty decent fall. Id run away from a bike u don't want. opp, (other people's problems)[/quote]

I agree completely with you!! It must of been a big drop. And two at that! But as I stated, bikes here are expensive!!! I'm still leaning towards buying the bike just because everything else checks out. But not at $8k!

Normally I wouldn't buy a dropped bike, but me living in Paraguay with the prices here...I can fix the cosmetics. What I am trying to figure out is what is a fair price?

Let me put it this way, if you had no other choice without spending $15k on another bike, what would you offer?

8. #8 epiic, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    [quote name='"blackzinger"']it looks like there's a big scratch on the tank. To do that it musta been a pretty decent fall. Id run away from a bike u don't want. opp, (other people's problems)

I know you want it I thought every single 1 of my motorcycles on impulse but the first 1 I bought had been layed down and I regretted it[/quote]

What made you regret buying it? Missed that before I posted my previous post.

And impulse is not my thing. I've been looking for 8 months now for a 1000cc crotch rocket without spending thousands over MSRP!!!

I've also looked into shipping a nice used bike from the states but the cost still comes out the same after paying taxes and transfer fees here.

9. looks like nothing more than a <30mph low-side. if the frame/forks/swingarm are straight then get it! bodywork can be replaced, or you could get them resprayed. or street fighter it.

i can see from your posts your pretty set on getting it. but i would ask to give it a good seeing over, and to ask for a test ride.

just checked prices, $8k = £5.2k. and '07 CBR1000's are selling the uk for....about £5k. and you've already said that jap bikes are expensive for you, so i'd say do it. you cant put a price on the smiles per miles that the bike will give you.

10. just pass on it you will be replacing the tranny and clutch because who ever was riding it did not give a shit and over reved it stay away

11. how do you know they "over revved" it? bikes are happy being at the top end of the rev range. it could of been the result of a deisel spill on the road and he went down...or all manner of other reasons.

12. If.there is anything those bikes hate. It's being under revved. Not over. I regretted it because problems started coming out of the.woodwork bout a month after... By impulse. I meant don't talk urself into one. They're always more.