Advice on starting a DWC closet grow..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by despirit, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hello everyone, I'm about to start building my first indoor setup in a couple weeks and I'm trying to get everything planned out. I thought about buying a Bubbleponics system but I think I want to build my own Deep Water Culture system. I'm going to put it in a closet and I have about 4 ft x 2 ft x 8 ft space to work with. I've attached a photo of the grow tent I'm thinking about using. (link to the specs here)

I can't decide if I want to use a tub or some bubble buckets. I'm thinking maybe six plants would be about what I need for that amount of space. I'm thinking about using CFLs for veg and flowering. Anyone care to chime in?

Attached Files:

2. Whether you build six individual buckets or have them all in one is a matter of preferance. It will be easier to maintain (ph,nutrient strength) if you have one big bin, but you will not be able to address individual problems/symptoms. Bubbleponics and DWC are the same thing.

I did a CFL closet grow with two plants in one rubbermaid bin and that worked out pretty well for me, although if I did it again I would put them in separate buckets plumbed together. The main issue for me was that one of the plants was almost done and needed to be flushed long before the other one had started packing on the weight.

So I guess my advice is this: if you are using clones of a stable phenotype, where you can assume they will probably grow in the same/similar manner, use one bucket. Otherwise the flowering times may be radically different (almost a month longer, in my case), and you may have to flush the res long before you wanted to, resulting in reduced yield of the remaining plants, or chop the "done" plant without flushing, resulting in a chemical taste and grossness.