Advice on Shipping PCs?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Pballa420, May 16, 2011.

1. I'm going to be seeing a bunch of gamer friends in TN during the summer, not sure how I'm going to be able to get my PC there safe.

I have heard horror stories about shipping via UPS, and that USPS is the way to go but other than that. I was thinking taking out the GPU, soundcard, and cooling system and package them in like titanium strength cardboard. For everything else, I was going to take out all the wires, either pack the insides with anti-static peanuts or foam blocks of some sort. Anybody here have any advice, preferably somebody who has experience with this sort of thing? It would be overnighted, and with insurance if possible. Not looking to budget the shipping costs either, $1200 custom built PC, she's my baby.

2. Remove CPU fan, it is the weakest spot on a PC considering the treatment it will get by any shipping company. Also, I'd remove the hard-disks, and carry those with me on a carry-on bag.

3. Yeah keeping the CPU fan is a no no. Do you think they would have a problem with me keeping my HDD in my carry on? I really want to avoid any possibility of it getting stolen or lost.

4. HDD should be OK in the carry on I think, although I bet TSA might wonder what it is when they see it on the X-ray machine.

5. You can package in a box with styrofoam and ship it insured USPS or even take it as checked baggage. I've shipped a lot of PCs from within the US and even from Europe to the US and have not needed to insure but it's always nice to be safe.

I have also carried HDD on as carry-on if anything they just will ask to see inside your baggage no big deal but 9-10 times they will recognize what it is on the screen.

I'm not going to say what I do or put too many personal indicators on here but I am very familiar with airline security and have worked at an airport in the past. Take it with you on the plane in a sturdy package as check baggage that way you know you will have it on the other side.

You always run the risk of the post misdirecting you parcel or the airport losing your baggage so the most important is if it's dropped or something is on top of it the box doesn't crash.

Oh you can go get those thick cardboard corners they usually package large heads (electric guitar amps) with them they have saved a few of my parcels from being crushed + styrofoam blocks cut to fit your machine man your good.

6. Oh. Also if you decide to take as checked baggage ensure you label the box on all sides fragile get the big orange stickers with the wine glass on it, and write your home address or somewhere they can ship it too if it were to get lost.

If the airline loses your baggage you will just go to baggage claims and make a claim they will find your luggage in less than 24 hours hey can give you the option to have it mailed to you or you can come back to the airport to receiver your goods. They will call you with the number you provide.

I personally have never had anything lost but it is possible to happen if you have delays or redirected flights. I've flown over 40 times in the past 5 years.

7. Probably what I will end up doing, will save a ton of money as well.