Advice On Planting Late

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mashedpotatoes, Mar 2, 2010.

1. #1 mashedpotatoes, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010
    I will not be home till the 6-11 of June, so I will not be able to start my outdoor grow till then. I am going to be using grow bags coated with spin out filled with a mixture of 75% Roots Organic soil, 25% perlite and 1 tablespoon dolomite lime per gallon. I am 45 degrees north.

Here is where my questions comes in, I have three.

Since I am planting late would it make more sense to get 5 or 3 gallon bags? Would my plants be able to take advantage of the extra space even if they are being planted late?

Further would it even make sense to use nutes since I am planting in fertilized soil anyways and there will be a shorter time for my plants to use it up?

Lastly, I have calculated my total cost including, soil, bags, seeds, pest/animal protection, etc. to come out to about $275-300 (about $18-$20 per plant). Is it possible to get a return on this? I am planning on planting 15 plants, 5 Holland's Hope, 5 Cheese, 5 Train Wreck, all are feminized. I am not asking about optimal conditions, I know there will probably be a few hermies, a few plants might die, etc. But is it reasonable to expect more than an oz? I am not planning on dealing, so I am not trying to make money. But I would like to get at least an equivalent weight to what I would pay for on the streets.

Thanks for reading and any advice you are able to give me.

2. If you have 15 plants and all fem seeds id say you would prolly end up with 10 good plants in the end and HELL YEAH you willl get more than an oz lol id say more than an oz off each plant...Shit some strains if grown right bring pounds per plant

3. Thanks for the reply. I hope that ends up being the case, although I know my entire crop could be eaten up by deer in a single night (hopefully human hair and fishing line will combat that..)

Can anyone tell me if my plants will have long enough to take advantage of nutes/liquid fertilizer? Or will the roots organic soil be enough as is? Same with the larger grow bag, will 3 gallons be fine, or will 5 gallons even with shorter amount of time result in a larger crop?

Thanks!

4. if you can get a jump start indoors and put 18 inch plants out you'll go pretty good. ALWAYS allow enough soil for root expansion through the entire flower cycle. if your hope is a quality bred stock it will kick ass pretty good.

5. Starting inside is not an option. I am living in college dorms till summer vacation.

Plus I don't know how I would get the plants home afterwords. I don't have a car.

6. I suggest finding some clones. That would solve your late start problem.

7. 45 degrees north is pretty far up there. When do you anticipate frost? You'll need at least 3 months and more likely 4+ to grow pot to maturity outdoors.

8. Holland's hope is supposed to be an early flowering variety, mid-September at latest. I do have a White Widow and a Blue Widow seed though I got free, those I assume flower much later.

According to the frost zip code calculator at davesgarden.com I am almost guaranteed no frost May 31st to September 8th. It is unlikely I will get frost though till early-mid October.