Advice on my lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rogolove, May 9, 2012.

1. I was recently given a seedling that my friend said he had burnt with too much nutes. I took it off his hands and have been giving it very low nutes to help it recover. It definitely looks better since I've had it, but I would like to know what you thought about my light setup. I have two 6500k 23w cfls and one 2500k 42w cfl. All have reflectors of some kind on them and are about 5 inches away. I will upload pictures.

2. Here's a couple Pictures. This inside my closet with the two 23w bulbs on the sides and the 42w above.
    [​IMG]

This is outside the closet looking down on the lamps.
    [​IMG]

3. ditch the foil. kitchen foil is actually not that reflective. You white walls reflect light many times more. Foil can generate hot spots.

4. I got rid of the foil and placed the lights a little closer because the plant seemed to handle the distance well. I'm still trying to find that happy spot though.

5. Also, do you think my light setup is good enough for healthy growth in this early stage?

6. You say light nutes? How about no nutes? That plant is much too young for any added nutes unless it is from organic sources already in the soil.

Other than that, the lighting is probably fine. You might back the 42w off a couple more inches though until the plant matures.

7. Well I've been doing 1/16th of the recommended dosage with the ph being 6 and it seems to be doing fine. When I woke up this morning it had the new set of leaves coming out of the center so I believe is recovered for the most part. I'll keep posting pics though.

8. I backed the 42w away as well, thanks for the advice. Until I get a timer I've been keeping the lights on 24 hours a day.

9. Rogolove: You appear to have a good start but don't be surprised if the stress your buddy gave that poor little seedling changes its sex. Stressing the babies can often cause them to turn 'hermie' on you. It also might take you a month to get it to normal growth and the damage may well be already done.

I would get the paper products: books and other combustible items out of your grow space. I have that same light socket and reflector over my tool box but it seems to get a lot hotter than the one I bought from The Home Depot for my cloning tent. You might want to take a look at what they have to offer. Theirs is considerably bigger and it has a heavier duty porcelain socket embedded into a larger more reflective spun aluminum hood. I think I paid about $12 for mine and it has a nice heavy duty wire ring attached for hanging. The one I have like yours has slipped off a couple of times. Just a word to the wise. I hope this helps because hobby farming is supposed to be fun. Hank

10. Thanks, I got most of the paper products out of my grow space except for a box my plant sits because I'm using a couple regular table lamps and they are hard to position correctly without it. I'm hoping it doesn't change sex on me, I told him he was stupid for burning the seedlings on purpose and I had to take this one off his hands. :)
    I actually have two lamps now. I got the same one as you at home depot and it's much larger reflector has really made a difference, so I'm glad to hear it was a smart buy.
    The new sets of leaves are coming out strong and healthy, but I can tell growth is still slowed down considerably. Thanks a lot for your advice, Hank. I'll post a picture in a minute.

11. This is the little plant. Tell me how you think it's looking. Those new leaves are about three days old.
    [​IMG]