Advice on my grow room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by KushKonnoisseur, Nov 24, 2010.

1. This is my first grow room and want to know the what I can do with this space (how many, plants, lighting, system?). The room I am using is 9' x 13' and 61/2' tall. I am hoping to get started on this and wanted some feed back from some expierienced growers.

Thank you

2. #2 maulcoy, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010
    Well, that's quite a bit of space.I'd say if you are looking to keep this setup a long time as in 2 years plus.Id use a 4 x 4 ft section for a flowering chamber.Use the remaining area for a vegetative growth room to keep mothers and clones in.Some growers use a 3 room system with a Mother chamber a clone chamber and a flower chamber.You'll need a lot of room to store grow supplies so make sure you have an area for that also.

The point is you can pretty much do anything you want in an area that size.Look at the video, I've used just a fraction of my available space.It's just a small room not much more than 6 x 10 with clearance issues on each side of the room.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqqWIx72W84[/ame]

3. Thanks alot for your input..

4. I believe He only uses a 2 room setup in " I Grow Chronic " Excellent video though.

5. #6 janemba, Nov 25, 2010
    u can put four 1000w in there, depending on ur available amps a good ballast will do 9-10 amps on 110, or 5amps on 220. if u get an electrician, have them wire up 220 for ur ballast.
    (4 1000w lights on 220 is 20amps) if u have a low main breaker then look into an upgrade
    (cost money about $1000-3000) or run smaller lights like 600w.
    but... the low head space will be an issue, unless u keep them small and pack a lot of girls in there,
    How much money are u willing to spend? to do that room right ur looking at $15k+
    (check my link to see my room, that was a $20K room w/ mother room after i added the 3rd light and new AC)
    u can go the tradition air cooled room, if u live in a warm area this is not a good option.
    inline CFM fans are cheap, and duct work is cheap too.
    u can air cool the hoods and run a 2-2.5 ton portable AC to keep the temp under control
    good air cooled hoods will run u $300-400 each (w/ bulb and ballast), & AC $600-1500+
    or u can spend the money and get an ice box water cooled heat exchanger setup it gets pricey $3k+ for ur room, but will save u on energy cost in the long run.

i would go hydroponics, but thats me (i even use hydroponics in my greenhouse)
    4x8 tray u can fit alot of small plants in here, or 18 med-large plants, put 2 lights over each tray. u can go soil, coco, bucket, or DWC and keep the pots/ rez on the ground and that will give u a few more inches.
    i hope this helps any more questions just ask... good luck

6. Im lookin to spend $2000-$3000 since this is my first expierience growin in this room. Just llooking for the basics..thanks for the info

7. Not everyone wants to have a comercial grow operation that cost thousands of dollars.In my experience most just want to supply for their personal use.You do have the space for all she or he mentioned.The question is, Do you want a comercial grow to make money or do you want a personal grow to supply yourself?Either way a grow chamber and bud chamber are in order to have a perpetual harvest.Even in a personal grow You use the same basic technics as in the large grow.You have a room for Mother plants, seedlings and clones and a room to bud the cannabis out in.Most of the money and fuss should be spent on the flower room!

8. he asked what he can do with that space. and thats what u can do with that space

9. #10 maulcoy, Nov 25, 2010
    I asked if he wanted something that big or a personal grow.If that's stepping on your toes,, then curl them up....:rolleyes:

Like I said the space will need divided in two or three no matter what size he wants to go, which was my point.

10. no ur right i should have asked what are u looking to do, but i like to think big, and am used to building rooms for clients that can produce

11. Im looking for something in the middle because I do want it for personal use but want a big enough harvest to for some commercial use but not a lot just enough to make some good mulahh. I love the input and more would be much appreciated.

12. #13 maulcoy, Nov 25, 2010
    OK, so you got a 9 x 13 room where is the door,on the 9 ft side or the 13 ft side?In the middle or on one end etc.Give me a good idea of how you enter it and also really consider that you wont want the entire floor area covered with budding plants. ( you need room to move around.If the door is on one side of the 13 ft wide and a window on the other that would be a perfect situation.

You will need enough vacant space around the door to allow entry and exit.I suggest building a semi permanent double door to control light leakage.So you must subtract this space from the total space.You need storage areas, it's a pain to go to another room or closet to get things you need right away.

I'm gonna break out a pencil and paper and draw a few ideas since I can't sleep.I'll post em in an hour or 2.

13. Here is a brief draft of my grow room. Keep the ideas comin!!

Attached Files:

14. #15 maulcoy, Nov 25, 2010
    Here's what i got.I guessed on your entrance and left out exhaust since I don't know the location of your windows/ doors.

There's a 9 ft x 5 ft flower room.A 4 ft x 8 foot tray can be placed inside or 2 4 x 4s. 2 or 3 400w HPS bulbs can be used in this room.One 1000w HPS could be used wit a light track.But I prefer 2 or 3 400 watters.

There's a 3'5 ft x 8 ft Mother plant and clone room, ( Veg. Room ) It can be broken up into two rooms or used as is.

There's a storage area and work area as well.Your final design will be dictated on the location of windows , ac/heat vents,doors and other permanent fixtures.

The double door is somthing I always try to do.

Here's the floor plan I came up with.It is very adaptable to most rooms of this size.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/coyboy33/Plans/Picture0173.jpg

15. LMAO, I'ts nearly a mirror image of what I imagined from your description.The closet would be in the flower room as I put the flower room on the entire 9 ft side away from the door.You can put it along the back 13' wall instead.the window will need a light trap that looks natural from outside.

16. I think I will need a reputation bump to keep working....................:D

17. Did some quick math.3 x 400 hps bulbs wil be about 27 watts per square ft. A bit weak for the space.30 to 50watts per square ft is the goal.

So how about a 1000 watt hps in the center of the bud room with an led panel on each side?

I've never used led lighting but I'm going to real soon.It has a high P.A.R. compared to the energy used.I'm going to get one of these in the near future.It's par is close to that of a 1000 watt HID lamp.

See the link below.

900 LED Hydroponic Grow Light 4 Panels = 56w Red / Blue - eBay (item 320606803210 end time Dec-20-10 21:06:48 PST)

18. Thanks alot man i really appreciate the effort and this gives me a great jumpstart to what i need to do thanks alot. Can i bump your reputation if i can tell me how thanks

19. Damn I'm on a manic episode.Bi-polar disorder sucks when you're out of weed!!!! :eek:

To bump a rep click on the little scale on the top right of the post. TY. Post some pics so we can follow along.