Advice on harvesting seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mycroft, Aug 29, 2007.

1. I'm just finishing my first grow ever. The seeds I got were Nirvana's "Indoor mix", and of the four seeds I tried to germinate, three actually grew, and then two of those three turned out to be male. So right now I got one beautiful female plant with nice sweet-smelling buds I'm getting ready to harvest in a couple weeks or so.

One of the male plants released some pollen before I pulled him out. Fortunately I didn't have a fan circulating the air at the time, so the exposure to the female was minimal. Most of my buds seem seed free.

But a couple do have something on them that looks like it could be a seed pod. It occurs to me that the genetics of these seeds might be pretty good, and germinating them sometime in the future might be worth doing. If possible, I want to save these seeds.

So my questions are:

A) Really, I'm a noob at this. These might not even be seed pods. Does anyone have pictures that would show what they would look like? I'd post pictures myself, but I'm a terrible photographer and can't get anything sharp enough to see. Believe me, I've tried.

B) Assuming they are seed pods, what's the best way to make sure they're viable? How does that work? Does the pod eventually open and a seed pops out? If I harvest the bud and let it dry, will I be able to dig out the seed and grow it later? The information I find here is all geared towards making sure you can grow your pot without seeds.

Any help and advice is appreciated. :)

2. I want to know the same thing, so an answer would be helping two people out!

3. Use the search buttom up top or google telling between female and male cannabis plant. It will give you a picture to compare to. The males have like nuts and the females have white hairs. When the male pods is released it fertilizes the female and she makes the seeds but the bud will be less potent. Just get rid of the males their useless. If you want seeds for net year take some pollen from the male then destoy it and fertilize a branch of the female.
    This is a male I had this year.

Attached Files:

4. [
    So my questions are:

A) Really, I'm a noob at this. These might not even be seed pods. Does anyone have pictures that would show what they would look like? I'd post pictures myself, but I'm a terrible photographer and can't get anything sharp enough to see. Believe me, I've tried.

B) Assuming they are seed pods, what's the best way to make sure they're viable? How does that work? Does the pod eventually open and a seed pops out? If I harvest the bud and let it dry, will I be able to dig out the seed and grow it later? The information I find here is all geared towards making sure you can grow your pot without seeds.

Any help and advice is appreciated. :)[/quote]
    If left alone they will split open on the side and show you a seed.....let them go as LONG as possible
    Good Luck

5. Thanks NJtoker, but I think I got the male/female thing down. Have another bowl friend, it's all good. :)

DrBudGreengenes, does the seed normally pop out and fall to the ground when the pod opens? Or will I have to dig it out? Once it splits open, does that mean the seed is viable?

I hope I have time to wait. We will be having some work done on the house, which may require we speed up the harvest a bit. I appreciate the advice!

6. In my experience they don't usually fall out of their own accord, but they'll pop out quite easily if you just brush them with your finger. I would let them mature as long as possible but once they start showing from the calyx they're probably okay.

7. Thanx here too!