Advice on Grow Room please.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Deleted member 1069137, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Im a beginner grower

I am including Amazon links to the items that I have questions about. If the links dont work let me know thanks. Its going to be a small grow room and on a budget. Here is a link to the tent im looking at.
    I am looking at 2 lights but would take any advice or suggestions on other lights in that price range. Here is a link to the first light
    Link for second light

Are these the correct lights for that grow tent?

Any advice would be appreciated Thanks.

2. I wouldn’t bother with them lights to get good led they are expensive I use hps better yields also look at induction fan to bring air in and larger to take hot air out

3. Yes I was looking at the fans. The grow tent im looking at has 3 and 7 inch outlets, but fans are mostly 4 6 and 8 inch???? Is that right or am I looking at something wrong?

4. You need more than a tent and light. But, get a taller tent. Trust me. It won't be tall enough. Get the tallest you can. That one is good for seedlings, clones, small vegging plants. By the time you hang the light, the thickness of the light, the height of the pot, the distance you need between the plant and the light, you will only have a few inches of available plant space. My honest opinion opinion on your choice of lighting would be the vivosun. But for flower, it is only recommended for 1.5 x 1.5 space. Which is only 2.25 sf. A 2x2 tent is 4 s/f. So you would need 2 . The philison light I believe only draws a little over 100w. And there is only a bunch of mumbo jumbo in the description. Nothing useful. To be continued.....

5. If you have to go with the 4' tall tent, I would recommend this. It is light and super thin so you could get it probably 8_-10" closer to the roof than the other lights. Mount the driver outside of the tent to reduce heat in there. This light draws less power but has more intensity than either of your choices picked. If there is one item in a budget grow not to skimp on, it's lighting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Would 6 foot be enough you think?

8. Yes.

9. But if you have the room, a 3x3 would be better. Especially if looking for yield. You can get another light to add at a later time. You can veg a couple plants for a month or 2 under one and by the time you need to flower, hopefully you've saved enough for a second or third . It gets addicting. Lol.

10. I can't see any of your links, but in the interest of being helpful here are some tips I wish I'd heard when I was getting started.

Ventilation is key. You need a high cfm fan no matter how you decide to set up your tent. Even with LED.

HID lights are still a more affordable and better bet than LED. I have a small LED that I use for vegging, I'm not against LED, but an LED equivalent to my HPS would cost something like 1600 dollars. IMHO it's still bleeding-edge tech.

You NEED a pH meter and an EC metter to feed your plants properly. You'll only waste time, money and yield by trying to guess your way through a grow. That said, there are some expensive meters on the market, you don't have to spend a ton on the best one if you properly maintain yours. That means having storage solution and never letting the probe dry out.

Last but not least, and again, only my humble opinion, don't get too caught up in the nutrient world. There are so many companies willing to take your money in exchange for empty promises of quality. The environment you create will have a much greater impact than the brand of fertilizer you choose.

Some details that you should get straight before you start filling that tent with gear:

-how's your water? well or city? hard or soft? you may want to make a small investment in some filtration. I have hard water and would be lost without my stealth boy RO.

-how are you gonna grow, and in what medium? these decisions will dictate how you set up your tent. that's not to say you have to do something really complicated, but you'll need different equipment for top feeding soil or coco than you would for a recirculating setup. I'd honestly recommend a small recirculating drip system. it's a lot less stressful to mix up your res every week or two than it is to make a gallon or two of solution to water them with every day.

If you've decided on a growing style let us know, there are some good people on this website who are always happy to help a new grower, and I'll do what I can too.

Note: I do not claim to be an expert. It is not my intention to mislead, and if I've given any bad advice someone should feel free to call me out on it.

11. HI Thanks for all the info.
    I have a single 6 inch ventilation fan rated at 240 cfm, but if anyone could give me ideas on how to quiet it down that would be appreciated. I bought a Terrabloom control, but it wont change the fan speed. It wont even turn it on I am going to check the Terrabloom control switch to make sure its working properly over the weekend.

I have a 300 watt LED Vivarspectar and I also have a 400 watt magnetic ballast with a MH light, I am considering getting a HPS lightbulb for cheap.

I dont a PH meter yet or an EC meter. Theres 1 PH meter for sale at the local hardware store for 15 dollars that I might get.

I have a 32x32x63 grow tent with 1 4 inch intake for fresh air and I have a box fan sitting in front of 1 of the velcro vents blowing in. The single 6 inch 240 cfm exhaust fan. Until it gets bigger im only running the 300 watt full time then I will run the LED and the MH bulb when the plant gets bigger.

I bought Miracle Gro soil which im told is garbage but I am going to use it this time and see what happens. I have Fox Farms Trio for the nutrients.

Im using well water.

This is my first grow so I have no idea how it will go. I have no idea how to train or fem. Ive been checking out the SCROG method and I would like to try that but for my first time im just gonna grow and see what happens.
    I have planted HAZE XL Autoflower. I read that Autoflowers were good for beginners, not the best weed as far as potency goes, but easy to grow.

Thanks I hope I make it.

12. Photos will be easier than auto flowers. Any mistakes can be fixed by adding veg time. With an autoflower, the clock starts ticking when the seed pops so any mistakes will hurt yield

13. i would look into insulated ducting to cut down on fan noise.
    don't use MG soil. it's way too hot. if you do decide to use it don't use those fox farm nutes for a whiiiile....

14. Yeah im looking at for a solution to this fan noise. If my power control worked that would do it but I need to test it.
    I have already planted in the MG. I was watching some YouTube vids where a grower used MG and his preferred brand of soil. The MG took off quick but in the end his preferred brand of soil gave a slightly greater yeild. The YouTube poster said that he did not like MG but it would work if thats all you had he said. I will be going a different route next time. Maybe I will just use the Fox Farm during Bloom of the flowers.