Advice On Getting Healthier

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by shermdawg767, May 17, 2014.

1. Well it's practically summer and I'm continuing to look for a well paying job but that's besides the point.....I'm considering joining a gym such as anytime fitness or snap(if anyone has experience going to either gym I would appreciate your comment).

As of now I have very little gym experience. I'm 18, weigh 120, about 5' 6" and it's been a while since I've been physically active. Besides lifting small boxes at my current job. My goal is to build more muscle, and overall live a healthier life. I plan on changing to a better diet and start running in the morning.
    I would appreciate advice on any of the subjects I mentioned above. Thanks guys! Stay Baked!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Im with ya. Just got back into the gym the other day after about a 2 year hiatus. I wrestled and did MMA for a few years when I was younger and kinda fell out of it.

First step is to quit smoking cigs, cook at home more, no more frozen food etc

• Like Like x 1
  3. No frozen fooda or very little of it. No sodas or other heavily artificial preservatives. Or very little of it.

Exercise twice a week. Some huge workouts or the bare minimum to keep your self pumped.

juicing fruits n veggies helps! Tastes bomb as fuck with a j.

Stop smoking. If you do, do little of it. Vaping and eating cannabis is better for you. I'm currently on this switch and I can breathe better and feel less groggy

Most important. Be persistent.
    Dont just do it one week and stop the nect you know? Its a lifestyle change to really be healthy and the transition for me, although, slow, has definitely made me feel millions of time better.

Good luck on your journey

• Like Like x 1
  4. learn about raw, alive organic foods. the way you eat is everything, it's what gives you energy it's what helps you to repair your body, it's what gives your muscles food to grow. your body is alive right? then feed it the right things to keep it that way. watch some food documentaries.. there are a lot of great ones out there.

workout consistently. some exercise is better than nothing. you can get an awesome body weight routine in at home in a matter of 20-25 min and your muscles will be burning. don't make excuses. figure out something to do. 

5. You will like running in the morning.  Things make more sense and are less stressful after a good run. 

I go to planet fitness because they are numerous and cheap.  A 10 dollar a month membership lets me use any location I want.  Regardless of what happens with my work situation, I can afford it.  I could become a homeless bum and I'd still have a place that is open 24 hours where I could take shelter and a shower.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My main concern with going to a gym is not know how properly use the equipment. Also how to set up what days to workout which muscles. Is a bit confusing, can any shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

7. take this to heart. going to the gym is great, they have more equipment than you do at home, you can get a more complete workout. but its not for everyone, and its not the end all be all. going to the gym is a pain in the ass for anyone, it takes time and effort just to get there, and when youre just starting it can be demoralizing on top of that. eating right and exercising is whats important, and you can do that without a commute. good luck, just make a routine you can see yourself doing 6 months down the road.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Trogdor, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    A gym staff member can show you how to use the equipment.  Tell them you are new to working out and that you would consider buying a membership if you could be shown how to use the machines and try them out to help you decide if being a gym member was for you.

Some gyms even offer an introductory workout with a personal trainer (in hopes that you'll join and use their trainers)

Many fitness magazines have a workout guide / exercise poster of basic exercises inside.  Find one on the magazine rack of grocery store, buy the magazine, tear out and unfold the poster.

With all exercises, you'll want to lift the weight at a moderate to fast speed by contracting only the muscles the exercise is supposed to target and then lower the weight slowly back to the starting position.

Oh and here is how to set up your workouts:  A muscle needs rest until it is not sore before you work it out again.  Plan a cycle of days so that a muscle you just worked out doesn't get worked out secondarily when it's trying to recuperate.
    Shoulders get worked a lot when you bench press, so do triceps.  Biceps get worked when you do back exercises, so here are two examples of ways to avoid training the same muscle on consecutive days.

1. Do your bench presses, count them toward your shoulder workout too and do a shoulder exercises right after.(maybe side raises)

2. Do your bench presses.  Do a leg workout the next day.  The day after that do some shoulder presses and side raises.

I change my workout splits, volume, and weights all the time trying to optimize.  I'm still trying to figure out what's best for me.  Sometimes some muscles can be sore for much longer than a day or two depending on how they are conditioned and what work they had to do.  There is a balance somewhere.  If I kill my biceps (or whatever) so hard that they're not ready to lift again for 10 days, they won't be any stronger the next time I lift.  If I work them so lightly that they don't get sore at all, they won't get stronger either.

9. Wow, thanks for the helpful information!

10. www.bodybuilding.com

This would be a better start if you are going to use a forum.

Don't let them fool you, carb the fruit up! 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Do Starting Strength, and from there you will know everything about lifting weights.

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, power cleans, and pull-ups (and variations) are all you need in reality.

Your body works as a movement. As a beginner you are fundamentally weak in every area of your body. Using a full body template centered around those basic compound lifts will stress every muscle and movement. Focus on form, and for the major compound lifts there are many technical details you will need to learn (it is a learning process). Lifting weights is a marathon, not a sprint. Even after all this time, I'm still focusing on improving form.

Also… I would advise staying away from personal trainers. I'm taking a certification test to be a PT through NASM (which is arguably one of the best, or so I've been told), and reading the material and from personal experience, most of the PTs is garbage., regurgitating information they memorize but don't comprehend. Personal trainers are certified to give information to a whole population (including the seniors and children). Therefore, most of the information is centered around to correcting imbalances in a person biomechanics function. The basic applied sciences make sense, but their way offers slow results. You want real results? Go find an olympic lifter and powerlifter coach. Even a strength and conditioning coach.

• Like Like x 1
    Biggest step is eating out -- and I'm not talking about pussy! Fast food especially will kill your body, as will things like big meals at restaurants with multiple portions. Also, alcohol (beer) with empty calories.

You just need to ration shit out and exercise. Keep it 50/50 to a degree, or 60/40 exercise>food.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It sounds like you're skinny (right?) , honestly once you figure out a basic routine that you like, I'd be willing to say you will only have to worry about gaining muscle mass and strength!

14. Yes I am haha that's the plan!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jiafu's advice is great, far better than mine. What he recommends will build you a strong, functional body. A great trainer on youtube is Elliot Hulse. Check out his strength camp videos.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 1. You should look up madbarz which has beginner routines. Once you build strength go to the gym.
    10 pull ups
    30 push ups

2. Get a mother fuckin gym membership. Do squats and dead lifts at the gym 2 times a week. Do your madbarz on an iron gym at home. You neeeeeed to work your legs.

3. You need to eat well also. Eat rice, fish, oats, chicken, fruit, vegetables and steak.

4. Also figure out what your body type is.

5. Always warm up then stretch before a work out. Use proper form and if you don't know look it up or ask someone. Exhale when exerting force.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Its actually pretty simple. There is no need to follow an extremist diet.

A few minor things will do wonders.

Stop ordering you're sandwiches with no tomatoes and lettuce. Swap out fries/chips for fruits.

Don't eat things like cereal and pancakes as a meal, they are pure sugar.

Cut back on sugary drinks and snacks.

Work out.

Done

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3