Advice on CFM Exhaust/Intake for Stealth Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Romain, Jan 24, 2009.

1. I'm going to be doing a mini fridge grow, with a Haier 4.6 Cubic Ft. Mini Fridge. I need adive on what size fan I should purchase for the exhaust/intake. Nothing bigger than 5-7" in diameter

The top of the fridge measures 22" X 23", where the exhaust will be mounted facing upwards and out, hopefully a carbon filter can be fitted from the inside.

The intake will be at the bottom somewhere -- either the side or the back.

[​IMG]

2. #2 Mordecai, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    whatup romain? Snag one 6" inline fan and one 4" inline fan from home depot. use the 4 for the intake and the 6 for exhaust. exhaust at the far top corner of the fridge, and intake at farthest opposite bottom corner. you can snag a 6" odorsok (which i use with a 4x4x7 hydro hut and there is ZERO smell! so keep that in mind

EDIT- put both fans in the back of the fridge but at perpendicular corners

3. try and also pick up another small fan for inside the box. having a breeze on the plants strengthens the plant

4. Yeah, I was thinking a 6"-10" Axial fan for the exhaust at the top, and then another fan instead of just an opening, maybe a 4-5" Axial for the bottom intake.

[​IMG]

I'll keep my eye out for the perfect one though -- it's most likely gonna need a grate to keep leaves from coming incontact with it.

You suggest putting it directly above in the top middle and the intake at the bottom, side, middle.

OR Have the exhaust placed in the far corner at the top, and the intake the furthest away from it, at the bottom left, right side?

Also, those ODOR SOKS seem much too big to be fitted inside, or even atop the exhaust outlet. I might have to fabriocate something do to the size restraints I have. I want to keep the inside as open as possible from coming in contact with anything so I maximize the most grow potential of the plant per sq. inch of inside fridge.

5. It depends what type of light you'll be using. If you only have a basic reflector with a large CFL or a couple or CFL's, a couple of PC fans should be fine. For example I've seen similar sized cabs with two 60mm PC fans in the top two corners for exhaust and two 60mm fans at the bottom for intake and it kept the temps inside at around 85 high and 70 low, so you can use that as a guide. It just all depends on the heat your light generates. Obviously a MH/HPS setup would require a bit more ventilation as the temps are much higher.

6. fuck man i hate those ps3/ipod for free things. I came so clos once. took me lik a month then it all fell through.

7. Yeah, well I think I might just got with a Florescent or CFL for Veg. something high powerfull that doesnt put out alot of heat, then I might invest in a 150 HPS, or something along those lines. So I think PC fans wouldnt suffice. Anyways, I want to have more ventilation than less, so I will go the more effective route and get bigger fans that can push out more CFMs

8. Good idea. Bigger fans can push more air at slower speeds and are therefore quieter, which is important for a stealth grow. What you could also do, is build a sort of fan box inside the fridge. With fans mounted inside the fridge on a box, which then leads to a single exhaust hole. So all the noise is inside the box, with a flow of air coming out the back. This makes it pretty easy to attach a filter if you need to. Think of a car exhaust system, where there are multiple pipes coming from the cylinders, which lead to 1 exhaust pipe. This limits the amount of holes needed outside the fridge, which minimizes light leaks etc.

9. Hmm thats a pretty good Idea. I'll see what fits best when I actually purchase the fans and things and set it all up to determine size. Maybe a Y duct with a fan on each side that leads to the exhaust

Yeah, I'd llike it to be almost totally silent once I shut the door (which I'm keeping on because it creates a pretty tight seal, and keeps light from getting in.

I'll everyone updated