Advice on brand on coco...! :)

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Steadysmokin13, Jan 14, 2013.

1. im planning to have either 6 5 gallon pots or 8 3 gallon pots how much compress coco would i need for this grow and what brand would everyone say to use?? thanks cant wait to get the right stuff and get it going!!! be sure to keep out the up and coming journal aswell!

2. Anyone? Anyone?

3. if you can get Canna's coco, id go w/ that as my #1 choice

Cyco coco would be my #2 choice

Royal Gold choice #3

if none of those are an option for you, go w/ Botanicare CocoGro, its usually readily available at any grow shop

just try to avoid any off brand cocos as they usually carry alot of excess salts that will more than likely cause you problems sooner or later in your grow

4. Do all of those options come in a bail/brick? i was looking at a general hydroponic cocotek 5kg bail for 25$ offline any opinions on GH?

5. Canna always, for me anyway. I also use their coco A+B.

6. the cocotek isnt bad stuff, ive used it in the past

like i said earlier..... your good as long as its not an off brand of coco

7. I've tried alot of brands and I always go with the small cocotek red mixed bricks. It has the best consistency and texture ime. In larger containers I prefer to use some larger coco crutons like crop circles or purple cocotek bricks if you can find them.

I've found that most other brands (other then redbricks) have way to much fine particles in them (pith) and they hold too much water and not enough air. I used the bigger botanicare bricks in white plastic as well as the larger bricks of roots and found consistency to be a huge problem between bricks.

I do prefer the finer pith stuff for cloning though.... such as cocotek green brick

8. you should get ahold of some Cyco coco bongsauce

shit is the bees-knees. alot of long fibers that roots go crazy for

9. Well i was trying to save some money on shipping by ordering a bail but im thinkin F it now i can spend the 50$ for the canna coco from what are you guys are telling me itll be well worth it! I cant wait for my order to ship out and get this started! all my seeds have finally arrived JACKED :hello:

thank you everyone for all the input its always greatly appricated!

10. youll love that Canna coco

its pre-loaded w/ beneficials

11. Any advice on what to grow them in? I have 3 gallon aurora industries soft pots would that work or can I use just regular 5 gallon buckets? Any experience with the coco fiber buckets?? Questions questions questions.... Lol I always have questions about something it seems I always wanna learn

12. Canna for sure.

I work for a dispensary grow and we went through a dozen or so brands, but kept having different issues, but since we switched to Canna our plants look really healthy. It seems to be the most neutral out of the bag we could get. All the other brands would have very high EC values which would burn our plants soon after being potted with it.

13. if your gonna grow trees or planning to keep a mom plant, id say use a 3 gallon

if not

id go w/ a 2 gallon container. i grow some decent sized trees and have never had a need to go over 2 gallons for a container

14. Thanks for all the great info! Coco should be here middle of next week can't wait to get it started!

15. Okay so the canna coco arrived today! yessss! so excited to another one started im planning to mix rice hulls in with it.. also im going to be mixing up a batch of organic coco mix and letting a few gallon containers cook for a few weeks. any advice on the organic fertilizers??/

16. i use sunleaves coco bricks....have never preflushed them either

17. I've been looking into organic mix to add to my Coco and from what I've seen, Fox Farms Oceon Forest looks really good. A lot of people seem to use it in their full organic soil mixes.

18. I'm super excited for my coco mix to be done cooking so I can try it out!!

19. Hey steadysmokin13 I know this is kind of late but you might want to check out AskEd's Coco guide, on page four hes got an organic mix for coco, and if I remember correctly it's for two gallons. Either way keep us posted as I'd like to try this out myself.