Advice on a 600w HPS lighting system

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dave7189, Mar 20, 2011.

1. #1 Dave7189, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    Hello everyone I've been a member for a few months now and am now at the point where I can seriously look at grow supplies in prep for setting up my grow room. The question I have is what 600w system should I use I was thinking of going with a hydrofarm any suggestions?

2. any takers?

3. Opinions vary. There's a crapton of info on this subject in the lighting section. Check out the stickies!

4. 600w systems rock. They give you great lumens/watt ration and cover a big area. I would go with a lumatek ballast or something similar that is adjustable output so that you can manage heat if you need to. It also lets you conserve some energy if you want. They are really quiet and dont heat up much either. I would also go with a sun system reflector for your first grow. They are easy to manage and setup and work well with the 600's. They are air cooled which you will need for a 600w light, so thats another plus.

5. Thanks for the advice, I've had others on different sites say the same thing so I'll ask about them when i visit the hydro shop this week. As of right now I'm thinking of using 2 lamps with a hortilux bulb and a light mover will know more in a day or two.

6. Depends on what you are planning to do with it.. Are you vegging/flowering?? is running cost an issue is price of the sytem an issue?? i would only sujest a digital ballast. get one with a 4 stage IR filter and built in cooling fan. I have x2 tech1 600w energy saving digital ballasts that i can run either MH/HPS on iv used the onlder type ballasts and they get hot and are heavy as hell!! both my digi's weigh less than 1 older type ballast.. ( making them better for wall mounting ) they also have bulit in cooling fans and if there is a power cut they will fire back up staright away unlike the cooling period needed for the older types!! the digis use less amp when starting up. standard ones use about 7 amps to fire the lamp my digis use 2.4amps each so its alot less stress on the curcuit breakers!! alot to think about i know but make sure u pick up a decent one.!!