Advice needed

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by southgatoker, Sep 2, 2012.

1. So, I have a raised bed. It's 4'x10' and 20" deep. I've grown alot of vegetables and herbs in my raised bed but with chemicals. I got tired of using fertilizers and people calling me the "Organic Farmer" when I wasn't so I decided to actually go organic. I've been doing some research on Grasscity and other sources and I read about organic fertilizers and techniques. Then, I came across a "recipe" called "Subcool's Soil Mix". So I decided to use something like his mix. I did a little more research and figured out what I'm going to do. For my fall crop, I'm going to mix in 1-2 pounds of blood meal, 1-2 pounds of seabird guano, 2-3 pounds of greensand, and some lime to keep the pH level and to add other smaller nutrients such as calcium and magnesium. After I mix all that up, I will spread Moo-Nure over the soil so there is 1/2" or so of compost. After about a month of my veggies growing, I plan on making teas with the meals and guanos I mixed into the soil and feeding the plants that way. What do you guys think? Too much or too little? Right nutrients?

2. well conventional organic has a lot of benefits compared to conventional non-organic, but in my opinion it tries too hard to understand that which is imho incomprehensible by the human race, but conventional organic is FASTER harvest and soil building than better methods, so i think its a good idea when you are in your case and beginning to switch back to healthier soil

if you plan to switch out your soil and replace it then go as simple as possible is my opinion
    you want rich dark soil with lots of organic matter and fibers

if you plan to CONVERT current soil, you will need to employ the use of "weeds" to clean and filter the soil, you will originally focus on removing toxins and then after a couple years of removing these "weeds" from the site begin to build up the organic matter again and build soil fertility

regardless this first year or two should be focused on removing soil toxins and reviving the health of the soil, this is done most effectively by either removing and replacing the soil(fastest) or working it back to health (slowest but best for soil health in long run)

i personally suggest replacing the top foot-18 inches of soil with rich topsoil - mixing in some compost if nessecary
    then just grow plants there and leave dead plants and pulled "weeds" there on the spot, possibly even mulching in straw or woodchips over the bed, as soil is best built from the surface down