Advice needed: should I remove the yellow leaves from my clones?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FatBuds420X, Feb 12, 2023.

1. So I've been cloning some weed plants in cups of water for the last 28 days, and have been journaling this here:
    Growing clones in a cup of water

After 28 days the clones, I've planted 5 of the clones that developed roots and they are looking quite depleted.. All of the outer leaves are completely yellow. The inner leaves are still green, however, they are curled up, so not as healthy as I would like them to be.

My question is should I remove the yellow leaves or shall I leave them on? Will the yellow leaves be able to produce any energy for the plant or are they just going to harm the growth of the plants? This is my first time cloning, do the clones look in really bad condition or just normal for clones?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. new pics .Under white light .

3. Some of the yellow leaves are turning brown and getting dry so I'll definitely be removing those. But some of the yellow leaves seem okay with a bit of green still on them.

Attached Files:

• 001.png
      001.png
      File size:
      867.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.png
      002.png
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 006.png
      006.png
      File size:
      627.6 KB
      Views:
  4. There's not really a "right" answer. What is happening is because the plant has no roots to store sugars in it is eating itself to produce new growth. Once the leaf is pretty yellow it's probably not coming back, so usually at a certain point people clip them for those 2 reasons. I don't think it "really" matters. Under good conditions it will transition and grow roots even if you do nothing, but as I understand it you want to remove them so the plant doesn't eventually waste energy trying to bring those leaves back. I know a lot of people will trim most of the lower leaves off of clones right from the start but i'm not sure that's beneficial either. Personally, when they are that yellow I would assume the plant will not bring them back and I would clip them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cannabis can and does use Translocation to move mobile elements like N from the oldest leaves to build new ones when shortages occur. For the moment they are acting as reserves for the plant. When they hang down dry then remove. Once she is on her own with well established fans then remove the yellowed used up fans she was cloned with.
    Just put up with the unsightly fans knowing they are still food.
    BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. They will grow . If there fed . There to far gone for my personal . But a grower could use weak lighting Dim that led Feed the plants Wait a few weeks for them to recover before turning the light back on. Go 18 on not 24 until they recover then switch to 24 if that is what you like .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1