advice needed for newb

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheCheeF, Mar 22, 2009.

1. hi everyone i just joined the community, and would like to see if anyone out there has some constructive advice or lead me in any direction to go in for my interest to plant/grow some beans.

I have no previous experience, and have been reading on what the web has to offer and I would like to go through with an indoor setup.

So, ill throw out my personal opinions on what id like so i can maybe receive some ideas on what method would work best for me.

basically, i am looking to grow no more than 10 plants and am on a budget of say about anywhere under 1k (if possible). Also, i would prefer not to make/build my own setup ( so maybe some ideas on efficient/effective setups out there already).

So to sum up all my rambling, I need some help with a setup for indoors, and quite possibly some direction on how to go about using these setups (grow guides?) to produce some pretty ladies

Thank you for any help :)

2. a budget of 1k is real good thats more than enough to start a indoor grow, do u want a hydro grow, soil, organic or what

any idea of what strain u want to grow or anything?? Are u just gonna grow bag seeds?? if u got a budget of 1k id order seeds from seed centre they can be found on high times .com they have the cheapest seeds ive seen and u can buy them singley and not have to buy like 5 and 10 of them at a time

if u dont want to build your own set up id go with a couple wardrobe closets from big lots or something, about $230 for the both of them, or less id imagine

i dont blame u for not wanting to build your own sometimes building stuff can be a pain

any way u need anything let me know im getting to be qwite the expert on growing from the people round here, oh and welcome, and how soon do u plan on starting to grow???

3. Great thanks for the quick reply. Cool so with my budget id like to yield a large amount as quick as possible, so my guess would be hydro?..and to answer another one of your questions i plan on doing this during my summer months (end of april-august), so i have some time yet--which is why im trying to get some valid info/advice. Yes, I have read about attitude and i might chose a strain from there, but will definitely check out your recommended source.

4. if u want to go hydro, please by all means check this thread out u will thank me and rumple for it i have built my own bucket and its quick and easy really is.

as far as attitude, i guess they r ok, but i dont like the fact u gotta buy like 5 seeds all at once i like the freedom of buying like 2 G-13s or 1 lsd and or 3 or 4 AK-48s, thats why i stick with the seed sentre, plus they gurantee there arrival, i even had one come cracked, and they sent me a new 1 just cause it was cracked. i have had great results from them

what kind of harvest are u looking for man? Are u wanting pounds?? How many square feet are u working with?? If u r wanting large yields i recommend a Sea Of Green ( SOG )

just my 2 cents tho

if u want to do hydro u r gonna need some rockwool or something of the same lines, but the gude rumple put together will tell u all u need to know

If u r wanting a really potent strain and dont care about height problems, i reccommend G-13, and maybe some White Widow, and some LSD u cant go wrong there.Especially with the G-13 its my personal Favorite plus there is that Old wives tale behind it also u just gotta love

u need anything else just let me know!!!

5. #5 TheCheeF, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
    The thread in your sig?..(for the rumple hydro setup?)Nevermind..i checked it out and looks great--but with my budget cant i find something that is already constructed, as i am not really willing to go into all that labor and such

Also, how do i go about this SOG method?

ok well do they ship to the US, i couldnt find anywhere on there about any of that.(if they do, you sold me)

id love to have pounds lol but like i said im real new to this and dont know how many seeds/plants would be needed for that large of a harvest..im working with about 10-12 x 5-7ft that is (not 100% sure on the dimensions thats just estimate)--id personally like to keep it within 10 plants and those strains would be awesome and will definitely check them out

6. Wow! I've been growing for 20 years and I'm no expert. :p

Cheef, congrats on your decision to grow your own meds. Are you trying to go stealth? Odor control a necessity? I could get a 1000watter and a hydro setup for under a grand if I don't need odor control and had a nice cool room to take over. SOG won't necessarily increase your yields. Increasing production is all about maximizing your lighting efficiency, proper pruning and using your space as effectively as possible. This assumes a good growing environment. I can take a 1000 and get 2 pounds of dried product. I can do this with just 1 tree or 36 twigs.

7. well maybe not an expert, but very knowledgable about the sport, hobby or what ever u wanna call it

sorry cheef here is the link even tho u already seen it!!
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

got a little ahead of my self, lol ,no the link in my sig is to my grow box and weed adventure build which as u can see if u looked is still in process but is just starting to come along..

yea listen to OCD, he is already asking the right questions, im a novice compared to him

a 1000 watter would be good but damn i just cant go that big im trying to stay under the radar of birds in the sky with infa red and keep my electric bill down

i dont know of any inexpensive hydro systems that would be cheap since it is kinda cutting edge right now but here is a website for u to check out discounthydro.com, or check out 4hydroponics.com

both are cool sites i think!!

yes plants will grow about 2 to 3 times faster in hydro than they will organically or in soil, but im not sure about the yields and all that other stuff/potency???

i think a 1000 watter would be great for u if u r wanting that high of a yield!!!

A SOG is like a every 2 week supply of harvest like u take a cutting well let me get u a link...ok i couldnt find 1 so basicaly u need at least 2 rooms ( i think )

1 to have your mother plants in and another to have your clones and buds in, it will take a while to get it started up but after about 4 to 6 months or something like that u will have a harvest of buds every 2 to 4 weeks, and its constant, when u are adding new clones to the room u r taking finsihing clones out that are ready for harvest and when u are taking those out the ones from before are now ready for smoking and or curing or what ever u wish to do!!!

8. this is definetly a Sea Of Green in a nut shell, and may be missing bits and pieces but thats it from my undertanding, im sure some will disagree!!!

9. Heya Chief.......with no previous experience, I'd start out with a soil grow. Get a few grows under your belt then maybe mess around with a hydroponic grow. There are several great systems you can build/buy when the time is right.

HTG Supply has turn key kits that can get you growing for a good price: http://www.htgsupply.com/products.asp?categoryID=16&subcategoryID=124 and then get a good tent:http://www.htgsupply.com/products.asp?categoryID=19
    And maybe a fan: http://www.htgsupply.com/products.asp?categoryID=7&subcategoryID=39
    and a filter:http://www.htgsupply.com/productsubcategories.asp?categoryID=9
    and with shipping you'll be at your 1k budget. Welcome to GC and let us know if you need any other information..............chunkdaddyo

10. i respectfully disagree with u man, this is probably my 1st PROFESSIONAL grow, before i was using incadecsent lighting and was very uninformed, but im on my first hydro grow, and a first hydro grow is a FIRST hydro grow, he may need to research it a little like i did but hes gonna make mistakes, but this wont mean thathis plants wont live or that they will die

a do believe that he would be better off doing a bubble bucket seeing as they are alot more easier to manage, seeing ass the maintanace that goes into a hydrpponic spray system or ebb and flow maybe require more than a simple bubble bucket does.

i how ever believe that if he researches that there is no reason why he cant start up a hydro system in the next 2 to 3 weeks if not sooner

he just needs to realize that a hydro system has to have its weekly water changes and things of that matter, and thats about all besides lighting air and a little bit of tlc

cfls, for lighting seedlings, and mh for veggies, and young veg plants, and hps for flowering and such

darkness for drying and curing also i do believe!!!!

11. Respectfully Trillyen, I'm no expert nor a professional, but have grown since the eighties. I currently run a six bucket recirculating DWC system, with a reservoir and a control bucket, and it is not something a first time grower would want to dive into. I'm saying to get the fundamentals down first. Once he gets the growing bug, he's going to be trying all kinds of different systems.

The Cheef wants to grow 10 plants. Maintaining 10 bubblebuckets during an entire grow is going to be way over his head. We want the Cheef to have fun on his first grow. Grow several in soil and try out the bubblebucket, but have a soil backup plan. I have plants in Hempy buckets, soil and bubblebuckets. I have had great success in bubblebuckets, but there have been a few buckets that got root rot due to high reservoir temps. There is just a lot more to learn ph/tds/ppm/res temps/RO water with BB's, and to make and grow in ten for a first grow is asking for trouble. But hey.........no worries, we're all giving our two cents worth, so that's mine.

12. yep well said i agree, i wasnt thinkin of him having 10 of them lol, yeah that wouldbe a little much and yeah i do have the tds the ppm and all the other stuff u mentoned, but i gueess we dont know if he has the stuff yet, dont know if u mentioned the ph meter either i still ned a more accurate one of them for sure

root rot huh never thought about that wow, i may have to look into that for my flowering room

i was thinking of him doing a couple hydro like me and doing the rest soil he could always clone out and convert later, but he aint wanting to build a bubble bucket he was wanting to buy a complete system and for this reason i just was like i think a bubble bucket is the easier way to go

maybe he does have to crawl before he walks but im just thinking if hes anything like me its not gonna matter what we say hes gonna do it any way u know the money is burning a whole in his pocket if hes got the growing bug!!!

i dont think him starting with a couple bb would hurt, but as far a a dwc naw i wouldnt even reccommend that for myself at all

thats al im trying to say dude just make sure u research the stuff u need to know and do beore u jump into it, so far i have 2 bubble buckets and they look great there growing fast, and im not even using the correct nutes i dont think not saying u should do the same tho, but somethings that works for others dosent work for every1 ya know

I hope we aint scare him off chunk!!!

13. btw - reservoir temps up into the 80s are not a problem in Ebb and Flow....:rolleyes:

14. Yes, but i believe i have a stealth environment already, an attic space but i am planning on doing this during april thru august and heat may be an issue during the daytime as there are no windows (would this be a huge problem?..or is there a way to decrease my air temp.?)

With the 1000watter how much do you think my electric bill would increase? if alot, i might reconsider, also considering my air temp..
    ^^ but off 1 tree and 1000watt to get such a large harvest i might want to go try it out (if possible) or find another location

15. I appreciate your input chunk, thank you. And i think you are correct, i dont think i would want to get my hands dirty with ph/tds/ppm/red temps etc.. but how long does soil usually take to be ready?

Also, I dont necessarily need 10 plants, i was just throwing that out there, how much does a g13,ww plant usually yield?

16. Also, with slowly starting to decide on growing soil, are there any more kits out there like chunk had recommended that are worth taking a look at as well?

Aside from that, but staying on the soil subject, are there any recommended websites that could help/guide me through this process, so i can do it as efficient as possible?

Thanks again

17. Hi Cheef....any information you need you can find right here: \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\tGrandpa's Grow Guide. There are several other stickies on this forum you can learn a lot from, but Grandpas is a good starting point. When you have questions, check the stickies first, then do a search......if you can't find what you need, post your question and the guys and gals here will share their point of view. You'll get a great perspective of the ins and outs of our beloved hobby from a lot of talented folks here. Soon you'll develop a style that works for you, and with the resources here you'll be experimenting with different setups.

Aside from making a shopping list and just going out and individually buying what you need though, HTG has the package deals that are most reasonably priced. The reason I suggested a soil grow is for it's simplicity. In hydro, things can go wrong in a hurry.....but with a few grows under your belt and a basic knowledge of MJ's wants and needs, you'll be equipped with the knowledge to deal with a problem. In soil, you meet the plants basic needs, and problems will be minimal.

Yields will vary from plant to plant/crop to crop. My advice would be to place more emphasis on keeping your plant/plants health at the forefront of your mindset, and not even worry about "how much yield". With the knowledge and experience you will gain in the upcoming months, the yields will follow. Once you harvest that first crop of dank weed you grew from nothing more than a seed, you will be thinking ahead of ways to optimize the next crop. A few crops from now, you will be sharing your knowledge with guys just like you. Anyway, good luck to you and don't hesitate to ask if there's something you don't understand.........chunk