Advice for growing in a forest with little maintenance?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ukballer1012, Jun 23, 2013.

1. My grandparents have a farm in kentucky with plenty of land (40+ acres) a majority of which is forest. Since growing at my house is not an option at all, I figured I might try growing at their farm since no one is ever out there. The biggest issue, however, is that their farm is about a 45 minute drive from my house, so I would only be able to do maintenance on the plants very rarely. My logic on the matter is that I'd gladly invest $30 in seeds if I would be able to yield a lot of weed.

Now I know that growing marijuana is not as simple as planting the seed in the ground and waiting as it is a very complicated process with many variables. The main reason I'm posting here is to get feedback and advice from people who have been doing this for years, so I'd highly appreciate any advice given. I've heard from a lot of sources that the most critical stage is its seeding so I might be able to seed it somewhere else and then transplant the plants into the forest when it is ready.

So, do you think I could realistically grow a couple of plants in a forest and if so what should I do to optimize the yield? Also, if you guys know of any guides online that would help me I'd highly appreciate it if you could give me the link. Thanks in advance!

2. #2 Goombaya, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
    This is the right time to plant outdoors as fall (harvest season) is 3-4 months away, allowing you to grow  a fat strain with great yield. You have to pick your location carefully, as the forest canopy may block your plant from getting light. Make sure the area is well-lit.

Most plants don't start smelling noticeably till flowering stage, which is at least 2-4 weeks into the plant's growth. For a larger plant, it may not start flowering until after 4 weeks. This is plenty of time for the plant to become hardy so I wouldn't worry about it dying from lack of care. The thing about larger yield strains is they take lots of water, so you would have to be in a climate where it rains ideally 1-3 times a week. If not, you'll have to make at least weekly or bi-weekly trips to feed it, and when you feed it, feed it lots, as you'll be watering less frequently. Make sure you plant it in an are that has good drainage or it will be over-watered when it rains.

Edit: I would also be very careful about picking your strains. Pick one that is known for its hardiness, especially if its your first grow.

3. Do you have any tips as to where to grow it (i.e. where water would drain)? I probably could go out there for a week and keep track of progress. But like I said, I'm more than willing to spend $30 in seeds if I can yield a lot.

4. #4 Goombaya, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013

I don't know specifically, you just have to take a look at the soil yourself. Remember, try and choose somewhere where something isn't growing already, the other plants will suck all the nutrients from your grow. Also plant away from large trees, as they do the same thing, as well as firm up the soil because of the root systems. Ideally, you could dig up/til the area around your grow depending on the firmness of the soil. You want something really loose, really airy, that ensures your plant roots get oxygen for excellent growth. You could get some materials that will help with oxygenation, such as perlite, buy a cheap bag at Walmart and mix it in with the soil before you plant. To test your soil, just get a gallon of water and pour it over the patch. If it soaks through quickly, its good. If it collects and sits before draining, you probably need to air it out more. Remember,as you water over time the soil becomes more and more compact, so really airy soil is fine. 

As for nutes, the best would be reputable, high quality brands such as Fox Farms. If you're looking to save money, check out the organic grow forum as they have great selections of home made mixes you can create for cheap. Or, you can go real stingy and just use tomato nutes. They aren't the best but I heard they work in a pinch. 

Additionally, here are some popular fat yielding strains:

- Blue Dream
    - Critical Mass
    - Big Bud

Grown out doors you can get anywhere from 2-5 ounces per plant for a beginner grower. 

5. Before I start anything I would like to know how realistic the odds are of my yielding any bud. Like I said I wont be able to check up on the plants that often but I could maybe stay out there for like a week and work on it while it sprouts. Since I wont be able to water it should I plant it somewhere close to water? There is this one spot in the forest that has a well from the 18 century. I just want to know if going through all this trouble is going to be worth it in the end. Are there any guides on the matter I should look into or anything like that?

6. Impossible to say without seeing the site, knowing the strains, soil-type and quality, how you are going to feed your plants, etc.    Whether growing indoors or outdoors, you generally only get out of your plants what you put into them in terms of effort/care and knowledge.   If you are just planting them and walking away, I'll say the chances are fairly slim that this will work out for you.   Check the stickies in the Outdoor section, and you'll see how much work and dedication it takes to have a successful outdoor grow.

7. #7 Shifty007, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
    Hes right man I'm a newbie myself and there are so many things that occur that just can't be forseen. Its seems like I am having to do something daily to my grow. Could get lucky thou. One of the worst issues being the chiggers eating my ass up.

8. Best thing that helped me, was learning how to grow tomato plants.  If you can grow tomato plants from seed you can grow weed.

Too late to start photo cannabis from seed I say, with only about a month of veg time left.  Maybe a clone, IDK.  But, you could positively do an auto plant.

Best thing about learning to grow tomatoes is that nobody will then question why your buying all these weird growing supplies for growing cannabis, which you will.