Advice For a First Time Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by somesmokeshopguy, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Hey, GC I'm looking in to starting my first small grow (2-3 MAX) in the next few days. I was wondering if anyone had any basic advice or schedules I should follow. I've researched a decent amount and feel I'm slightly prepared but I wanted some final thought before I give it a whirl. So anyone have any suggestions on the how, when, where and whats. Nothing is too obvious and all advice is greatly appreciated. Any reccomendations on nutrients soils and lights would also be appreciated because the options are vast having no experience with them personally.

How much dried herb are you looking to harvest? What style of growing interests you?

3. Just looking to do a small closet grow, low stress, just looking to have a simple as can be (though I know none of this is simple) just for a first time. Realistically if the harvest was at least I'd be ecstatic over 1-2 oz. I'm not really trying to look for to much as to avoid dissappointment. ANY advice you can give at all helps. I'm just getting a small supplies list and all ready so I can hopefully set up/ germ this weekend.

3rd question, what's your budget?

You can grow a couple of ounces with a 150w hps, or a bunch of cfl bulbs.

I wouldn't set up any grow without a 4" inline fan and filter minimum. Cheapest I've seen is around $80 for a generic combo. That will cover around 250w and less, so you'd be good with a 150w hps and a 4" fan/filter.

For soil and nutrients I'd recommend a bag of happy frog potting soil, 5 gal perlite, 10 gal wormcastings, and a bag of espoma tomato-tone. Should be around $30-$40 for everything and will be more than enough to bring 2 plants to harvest.

5. Budget isn't really a problem don't want to spend top dollar considering my experience level is minimum. But have no problem paying extra for quality. And so just one 150w hps will be good throughout veg and flower? And if I went the cfl route about how many would you think? Also which would be the optimal bet from what I've seen it would most likely be the 150w hps ? Just trying to make sure I actually have my head wrapped around this. Sorry if I'm over complicating.

If I wanted an ounce or two from cfl I'd veg with 4 daylight bulbs and flower with 6 soft white, so about $30 just in bulbs, then you've got the hardware which could add another $20.

A 150w hps can produce quarter pounds pretty easily, the same wattage in cfl will produce about half that... with proper training of course.

7. Fair enough, any advice from personal experience about light cycles in veg and flowering stage. From what I've seen some methods vary a few hours. Also an optimal time to switch from veg to flower. I've read somewhat but can't get a definitive answer. Any time frame suggestions I should try and stick within? Or any suggestions at all of things I should make sure to do or things I should really try to avoid.

It all depends on growth rates, genetics, training methods. Too many variables to say, with HID I generally veg under 18/6 or 20/4 because of the explosive growth rates, but with cfl I never veg with less than 24/0 because growth rates are a bit slower.

So timing, growth rates, training methods, and type of lighting are all things that I consider when deciding on a light cycle. How long of a veg time they get also depends on the same factors, as well as the amount of space available.

Make sure your soil is right too, if the soil is poor then your girls won't do very well no matter what light you use.

9. I use CFLs in my grows. I just started my first ever autoflowering plant, Northern lights auto-fem

Im only doing one plant at a time, the seed actually just germinated and i put it in the soil about 10 minutes ago.

Using 7 42w CFLs with room for more if need be. My first grow i used 4 CFLs with a bag seed and my harvest was just over 25g which was a major let down IMO. However the bud was very strong! So my opinion is the more CFLs  the better.

10. dude 4 cfls and 25g result great job i hope i can get that but i got like 900w of cfl lol for 6 girls 1 was killed was a male good luck with your auto

11. Makes sense and yeah I realized there would be some factors but I was just asking generally, but I'll take note of the soil also anything you reccomend ?

12. Just a suggestion.

get two auto flowers (lots of choice here) even if you have to get 3 or 5 they are always good for a later grow.
    get fox farms ocean forest enough for two 3 gal pots put seeds directly in the soil, off you go.
    get the 150 hid.   run 24 hrs on for about 75 days.

no nutes needed for this grow.

like suggest before, 4" fan and filter for the smell which will be there.This will also
    help for air circulation which is important. Don't skimp. Can use on subsequent grows.

You will get good weed with little troubles. 2 or 3 ounces.   What a confidence builder.
    You can learn much just going from seed to finish.
    Then you can work on having a favorable environment for future grows.

Get a ph meter and a tds meter. Go cheap they work for this grow.

If you don't want to go auto. Try with 2 fem seeds. 
    Same set up. May need some nutes, not much. Fox Farms Trio is simple and effective.

Then 2 red cups.. Germinate with a bunch of possible methods but right in the soil will work fine.
    Schedule:
      2 weeks in red cup
      2-4 weeks in veg state in 3 gal pots  (lst, top, have fun here)
      8-10 weeks in flower same pots.

Boom lots of weed and good quality.

Hope this helps.. 
    Ill be glad to answer any other questions.Good Luck

LAter MoonRocky

13. If budget isn't a problem, forget CFLs.....heck by the time you buy enough CFL bulbs, cords, splitters, sockets, reflectors, you might as well just got a lower watt hid.

14. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it and yeah I'll most likely be setting up this weekend so I'll definitely, PM you with any questions or concerns. And yeah topping for the first time should be great. Any suggestions or rule of thumb there?

15. Fair enough, those were pretty much my thoughts as well though as far as lighting goes.

16. I top my plants at about 2  weeks in the red cup. .When they show  recovery from that I repot. From there on out let the plant
    tell you. Every time you top its a little stress. Top and LST is what i do. I try to hide my scissors so i don't over do-it. They grow so fast
    and spread out before you know it. 
    Put on your list of materials scissors and twine. Also get that closet lined with reflective material. No aluminum foil. Get the emergency blankets they sell at wallmarty.

What I have experienced, and that's just me. I would not top the auto flower's. Just grow..

Big question what are you going to grow. Reg,Fems or Autos? Fill me in.

BAGSEED is a crap shoot also.If you go that route, just be prepared for a little
    more work(FUN). The more you know about the seed the better.
    but you'll learn a whole lot more. DON'T SAVE MALES..Assassinate them with extreme prejudice.

Remember that regular seeds are a 50/50 shot at being female.  Which could end up
    wasting your time. or being the best weed you'll ever get. crap shoot Your plants usually get pre flowers about 30 to 40 days in.Then you'll know she is a she.

I solely agree that by the time you get enough cfls to do a decent job your in for an electrical nightmare.

Lets get you to the finish.

17. A few things I learned from my 1st grow

-If your using soil, dont give fertilizer to early and when you do give, start SLOW (You can always ease up, but if you give to much and burn you cant take it back)

-Be careful about damaging you plants. Make sure everything is secure and nothing will fall or tip over on your plant. Dont let you pets around them, use care when transporting so you don't drop them or trip.

-Don't starve them for water. You obviously dont want to overwater, but I let mine go a day or two too long without water and it stressed the shit out of them

-Dont underestimate how hard harvest is. It's a pain, its time consuming and it stinks SOOO bad. (Smells good, but be careful if there is going to be anybody even remotely close that might not feel the same way)

-Dont stress to much over little stuff. You dont have to grow cannabis, it grows its self. All you have to do give it what it needs and it'll take care of the rest. Also, I freaked the fark out over every little thing when there was nothing to worry about. A leave yellowing, a bit of nute burn, or a little drooping and I was like "OH SHIT!! WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"

Best of luck to you. Im still a noob and have alot to learn myself but that first grow taught me alot. One more thing. Don't try to cut any corners what so ever when it comes to odor control if you live in an apartment or even a house with close neighbors or a chance that people might drop by. Flowering plants and even towards the end of Veg stink SO SO SO bad. A glade plugin or some Febreze isn't going to do a darn thing. Your gonna need a name brand carbon filter that's the right size for your grow area matched with a good fan. You will also need a tent so you can get your grow space on negative pressure. Also, some ona gel to snuff out the small little bits that get through and some ozium for when you need to open your tent.